Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Romania - State child benefits

In what situation can I claim?

State allowance for children (alocație de stat pentru copii)

  • State allowance is granted to children aged up to 18 who are legally resident in Romania.
  • Young people who are aged over 18 and are attending secondary or vocational education courses also receive this allowance until they have completed their studies. The allowance is not paid to young people who repeat an academic year, except those who repeat a year for health-related reasons which are proven by a medical certificate.
  • The person who is entitled to the state allowance is the child.

What conditions do I need to meet?

To be able to receive the state allowance, children must:

  • be legally resident in Romania;
  • be attending courses at a secondary school or vocational college if they are aged over 18.

Children of foreign nationals or stateless persons who are resident in Romania receive the state allowance if they live with their parents.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

State allowance for children is calculated according to the reference social indicator (RSI) and the child's age. The RSI is set periodically by the government and is RON 500 in 2018. The allowance is paid monthly.

Age of child

Calculation of allowance

Amount of allowance

Up to 2 years (3 years for disabled children)

0.4 of the RSI

RON 200

Between 2 and 18 years (or until graduation from the secondary school or vocational college)

0.168 of the RSI

RON 84

Between 3 and 18 years (for disabled children)

0.4 of the RSI

RON 200

The parent of a new-born child must apply for the allowance at the village hall or town hall in the village or town where he or she lives. The following documents are necessary:

  • a standard application;
  • the birth certificate of the child for whom the benefit is requested;
  • the identity card of the parent who will receive the benefit for his or her child;
  • a bank statement if the parent wants the benefit to be paid into his or her bank account.

Depending on the circumstances, a number of other documents may be needed, such as:

  • the parents' marriage certificate;
  • the parents' divorce certificate and the certificate of custody of the child;
  • evidence of a court decision regarding custody, temporary custody pending adoption, placement in foster care or emergency foster care, or a grant of guardianship;
  • a certificate proving the child's disability.

State allowance for children is paid by postal order or bank transfer into a personal current account or card account.

State allowance for children is paid to one of the parents as agreed between them or, if they do not reach agreement, as decided by a child welfare authority or a court decision, to the parent to whom custody of the child has been awarded.

State allowance for children may also be paid to a guardian, temporary guardian or foster parent, including a maternal assistant or a person who has been awarded temporary custody.

Child allowance is not subject to income tax.

Jargon busters

  • Reference social indicator (RSI): unit expressed in lei which is used to calculate various social benefits in Romania, including state allowance for children.

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

The link below gives more information about your rights and obligations with regard to state allowance for children. This website does not belong to the European Commission and does not represent the position of the European Commission on the subject concerned:

Publications and websites of the European Commission:

Who do you need to contact?

You need to contact the village hall or town hall in the village or town in which you live. Residents of Bucharest must contact the city hall of the sector in which they live.

Share this page