Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Norway - Care services

In what situation can I claim?

If you need care, nursing or supervision, you may be entitled to care services.

What conditions do I need to meet?

You must live in a Norwegian municipality.

You must have a documented medical reason for needing care or nursing, due to illness or injury.

You must depend on personal and/or practical assistance in order to perform day-to-day activities.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

Care in a private home or place in a nursing home

Care in a private home is covered with no co-payment from you.

If you receive care in a nursing home, you must pay to reside there. From incomes of up to 1 G, i.e. NOK 93 634 at the current Basic Amount, minus an exempted amount of NOK 8 200 per year, the municipality may claim 75% annually. From incomes of over NOK 93 634, the municipality may claim up to 85%.

Attendance benefit (hjelpestønad)

If you are disabled and need assistance, and can come to a private attendance arrangement with a relative or person with whom you have close ties, you can receive attendance benefit (see the chapter on basic benefit and attendance benefit for more information).

Jargon busters

  • G: Abbreviation for National Insurance Basic Amount (see Basic Amount below). 1 G = 1 x Basic Amount, 2 G = 2 x Basic Amount, etc.;
  • Basic Amount: A standard amount that is used to calculate benefits and pensions, and which is set on 1 May each year. As of 1 May 2017, the Basic Amount is NOK 93 634, or about EUR 10 500.

Know your rights

The links below direct you to websites that describe your legal rights, but they are not part of the European Commission's websites. The Commission is therefore not responsible for the content:

The Commission's publications and websites:

Who do you need to contact?

You may contact your municipality to apply for care services. The municipality usually makes a decision on the basis of a doctor's certificate or a statement from another qualified professional (e.g. a physiotherapist), and these documents must contain a description of the need for services.

Share this page