Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Netherlands - Survivor’s benefit

You can read here what benefits there are in the Netherlands for surviving dependants.

In what situation can I claim?

If your partner or ex-partner has passed away and you were financially dependent on them, you may be entitled to a benefit under the Anw. The partner or ex-partner must have been insured when he/she passed away; in other words, he or she must have lived in the Netherlands or have worked and paid tax in the Netherlands.

Minor children may also receive a benefit if both parents pass away. This applies to both biological and adopted children.

If you no longer live or work in the Netherlands, you may opt voluntarily to stay insured under the Anw. You must apply for this from the SVB (Social Insurance Bank within one year of leaving the Netherlands.

What conditions do I need to meet?

Everyone who lives or works in the Netherlands is automatically insured under the Anw.

As a partner of a deceased insured person, you have the right to an Anw benefit if you:

  • have an unmarried child who is under the age of 18;
  • are expecting a child;
  • are more than 45% incapacitated for work;

The Anw benefit stops if you:

  • no longer have an unmarried child who is under 18 (or the child goes to live in another household);
  • are no longer more than 45% incapacitated for work;
  • reach the statutory retirement age under the General Old Age Pensions Act (AOW);
  • remarry, enter into a registered partnership or start living together with a partner.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

The Social Insurance Bank (SVB) is responsible for the Anw payments.

There are different Anw benefits:

  • the benefit for partners and for ex-partners receiving maintenance;
  • the benefit for children up to 16 whose both parents are deceased.

The amount of the surviving relative's benefit depends on the income of the surviving relative. There is a maximum of 70% of the minimum wage. Surviving relatives also receive a holiday payment in May each year.

The amount of the orphans’ benefit depends on the orphan’s age and is linked to the minimum wage. Orphans aged between 16 and 21 may also receive orphans’ benefit under certain circumstances. For example, if they attend school full time, or take care of a brother or sister.

Surviving relatives pension

Employees can often build up a surviving relatives’ pension for their partner within supplementary pension schemes. You can enquire about your pension scheme and how this is arranged for you. The survivor's pension is on top of any surviving relative's benefit.

Jargon busters

  • Anw benefit: a benefit for surviving relatives under the General Surviving Relatives Act (ANW, Algemene nabestaandenwet).
  • Social Insurance Bank (Sociale Verzekeringsbank, SVB): welfare agency in the area of social security in the Netherlands.

Know your rights

The links below set out your rights. They are not European Commission sites and do not represent the view of the European Commission.

European Commission publication and website:

Who do you need to contact?

You can find all the information and application forms for the survivors’ benefit on the SVB website.

If you are seeking advice or help with your EU rights, please apply for help from the EU.

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page