Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Latvia - Invalidity benefit

This chapter provides information about invalidity benefit (Invaliditātes pensija) in Latvia.

In what situation can I claim?

If you have a declared disability or work incapacity and you are not receiving the old age pension (vecuma pensija) or compensation for loss of work capacity (atlīdzība par darbspēju zaudējumu), you have the right to claim an invalidity benefit if:

  • you have been socially insured for at least 3 years; and
  • the State Medical Commission for the Assessment of Health Condition and Working Ability (SMCAHCWA) has made a ruling declaring a disability.

If you have not been socially insured or have been insured for less than 3 years, you may be entitled to State Social Security benefit.

What conditions do I need to meet?

To claim a invalidity benefit (invaliditātes pensija), you must obtain a SMCAHCWA ruling declaring your disability group.

On reaching retirement age, the old age pension is paid instead of the invalidity benefit. The old age pension may not be less than the invalidity benefit received previously.

If you have not been socially insured in the last 5 years, you are eligible for the minimum invalidity benefit amount.

You can continue receiving the invalidity benefit if you move to live abroad.

If you were insured against invalidity in Latvia for at least 5 years before the onset of the disability, you will be granted a group I or II invalidity benefit based on the insurance period and contribution wage in Latvia. If you were not insured against invalidity in Latvia for at least 5 years before the onset of the disability, your invalidity benefit will be calculated in proportion to the Latvian insurance period and the total insurance period in Member States.

Group III invalidity benefit is granted by the Member State under whose jurisdiction the person was at the time of onset of their disability. If the person was under the jurisdiction of several countries, the benefit is granted by each of the Member States involved, stipulating rights in accordance with national laws and regulations or adding together insurance periods.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

Amount of the invalidity benefit

The benefit amount depends on:

  • your disability group: Group I - very severe disability, Group II - severe disability, Group III - moderate disability;
  • the time of onset of the disability - since childhood or later.

The amounts of Group I and II invalidity benefits are calculated taking into account:

  • your average insurance contribution wage, which can be stipulated as any uninterrupted period of 36 months during the 5 years before disability was declared;
  • the duration of your insurance history;
  • the maximum possible insurance history, which is calculated from 15 years of age to reaching the age of retirement.

For persons having Group III disability, the amount is determined in accordance with the invalidity pension calculation basis (invaliditātes pensijas aprēķina bāze).

The minimum amounts payable are based on the invalidity pension calculation basis of EUR 136 per month (or EUR 163 per month for disabled persons since childhood):

  • Group I: 1.6 x invalidity pension calculation basis
  • Group II: 1.4 x invalidity pension calculation basis
  • Group III: 1 x invalidity pension calculation basis

The invalidity benefit is paid monthly. Personal income tax is withheld from the invalidity benefit.

The tax-free threshold for pensions is EUR 3,960 in 2021. An additional tax easement of EUR 1,848 is granted to persons with Group I or II disability and EUR 1,440 per year for persons with Group III disability.

Applying for invalidity benefit

You can apply for an invalidity benefit by:

To have a disability declared, your GP will refer you to the SMCAHCWA. A medical doctor-expert will examine and evaluate your disability or loss of ability to work without you being present. An appointment for an expert evaluation can be made by contacting a SMCAHCWA regional office.

If you worked up to 31 December 1995, you must also submit documents proving your employment history.

In order to continue receiving the invalidity benefit if you move to a foreign country, every year from 1 October to 15 December, you must submit a request by post to continue receiving compensation, to which must be added a declaration from a notary public that the recipient is still living, or in person to the SSIA.

The portal Latvija.lv has information in e-service format regarding your social insurance payments and the amount of benefits, pensions and support payments you can claim using internet banking or your e-signature.

Jargon busters

A disability group is the level of severity of a disability. Persons aged 18 and over are assigned to a group depending on the level of limitation imposed by their physical or mental disability: group I - very severe disability; group II - severe disability; group III - moderate disability. Persons up to 18 years of age are declared disabled without being assigned a group.

A disability is a long-term or chronic very severe, severe or moderate functional limitation, caused by a disease, trauma or congenital defect, which affects a person's mental or physical capabilities, work capacity, self-care and integration into society.

Social insurance contributions are legally mandated payments paid into a special budget account which give the right to socially insured persons to receive social insurance benefits stipulated by law, including unemployment, maternity, paternity, illness and parental benefits, disability, old age and loss of breadwinner pensions, and compensation for workplace accidents and work-related illnesses and healthcare services.

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

See the links below for information on your rights in case of disability. These are not European Commission websites and do not reflect the views of the European Commission.

Latvian laws and regulations on granting invalidity benefit:

European Commission publication and website:

Who do you need to contact?

State Social Insurance Agency
Lacplesa iela 70a, Riga, LV-1011
Fax: + 371 67011814
Email: vsaa@vsaa.gov.lv
Email for consultations: konsultacijas@vsaa.gov.lv, twitter.com/VSAA_LV

Branches in Riga and elsewhere.

State Medical Commission for the Assessment of Health Condition and Working Ability
Ventspils iela 53, Riga, LV-1002T
el.: +371 67614885, Fax: +371 67602982
Email: vdeavk@vdeavk.gov.lv
Regional offices

Ministry of Welfare
Skolas iela 28, Riga, LV-1331
Tel.: + 371 67021600, Fax: +371 67276445
Email: lm@lm.gov.lv

If you have any problems regarding your rights in the European Union, please contact the EU assistance service.

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page