Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Italy - Family benefits

This chapter explains the different kinds of family benefits:

  • Household Allowance (Assegno per il Nucleo Familiare), which guarantees support for the families of employed workers and those retired from employed work, whose household is made up of multiple people and who have an income lower than that established annually by law. The amount of ANF is determined based on the household income, as well as the number and type of members of the family. It is provided by the employer on behalf of the INPS.
  • Family Allowance for pensioners (Assegni familiari ai pensionati), which guarantees income support for the household of pensioners under the Independent Worker Schemes (artisans, merchants, farmers, tenant farmers and sharecroppers).
  • Local Authority Allowance (Assegno dei comuni) for low income household and with at least three minor children, granted exclusively through the Local Authority and paid by the INPS.
  • Birth Allowance (Bonus bebè or assegno di natalità): a means tested benefit for low income family households.
  • Kindergarten Voucher (Bonus asilo nido).

In what situation can I claim?

Dependent on certain income conditions, you are entitled to ANF if you belong to one of these categories: employees of Italian companies, operating in Italy or abroad; pension holders or recipients of cash benefits deriving from employed work.

Your household may consist of:

  • your spouse or your partner in civil union, unless legally and effectively separated;
  • your children and those equivalent to such under 18, up to the age of 26 if university students or without limit if disabled;
  • your grandchildren, under 18, if you are a direct ascendant (grandfather or grandmother).

If you are retired under the self-employed Worker Scheme, the Family Allowance for pensioners to support your low-income household is paid directly by the INPS on a monthly basis to your family.

If your household is on a low income and is made up of at least three minor children whose mother does not work, you can claim the Local Authority Allowance granted by your Local Authority of residence.

Birth Allowances is granted for 1 year after the child birth.

Kindergarten Voucher: not granted to mothers who are exempted from the payment of public nursery services; other forms of home care-assistance are provided in case of disabled children.

What conditions do I need to meet?

Income gross of tax or deductions at source, by way of tax or replacement tax, must also be taken into consideration.

You are entitled to the allowance if your household income comes from employment income or income deemed as such, by at least 70% and is lower than the limits which are established annually by Law and vary according to family unit composition.

If you are a subordinate worker, at least 70% of this income must come from paid employment. If you are a para-subordinate worker with a fixed-term contract registered under a separate INPS scheme, at least 70% of this income must be made up of employment income.

ANF benefit recipients:

  • you, as a claimant;
  • your spouse or partner in civil union, unless legally separated or divorced;
  • your children (including adoptive children), resident either in Italy or another EU country or a third country with whom a social security or reciprocity agreement has been signed;
  • your grandchildren (up to the age of 18 and over 18, if disabled).

Family Allowance for pensioners for retired persons as long as the person's entitlement to a pension subsists and, therefore, as long as the access requirements continue to be met. The household income limits to be taken into account are re-assessed each year due to planned inflation.

For the purposes of Local Authority income support, the income limits to be taken into consideration are re-assessed each year due to planned inflation, rounding to the nearest euro cent.

Birth Allowance is granted until the new born child is 1 year old or for 1 year as of the date of adoption.

Kindergarten Voucher, means-tested and granted upon submission of the household ISEE.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

The amount of ANF is inversely proportionate to income and directly proportionate to the number of members which make up your household, and varies by around EUR 100 based on your income level.

For the year 2021, the average amount of monthly ANF granted to a household (couple and two dependent children under 18) is e:g:

  • EUR 258.33 with an earned income up to EUR 14,775.06;
  • EUR 139.17 between EUR 27,658.89 and EUR 27,777.07;
  • no benefit over EUR 79,667.03.

To receive ANF, you must fill in the anf/dip form (see link provided below), indicating:

  • the period for which you are claiming the allowance;
  • the composition of your household;
  • the income you received in the last tax year.

You must fill in the form and give it to your employer:

  • at the start of the new period (July) if it is a continuation of a previous entitlement;
  • when a new entitlement arises (birth of a child, marriage);
  • when there are changes to your household (coming of age of a child).

If you are a subordinate worker, but not a citizen of the EU, you are entitled to benefits for your family members. This applies if they are resident in Italy or in countries linked to Italy by a bilateral Social Security Agreement, or if they live in a third country, in the event of a reciprocity agreement.

You can claim family benefits even if you are a citizen of a third country resident in Italy, for your dependent family members if they are long-term residents, having obtained residence, or a long-term stay permit.

The amounts of Family Allowance for pensioners for the year 2021 are the following:

  • EUR 8.18 monthly, due to you or your children and equivalents, if you belong to the categories of farmers, tenant farmers, sharecroppers;
  • EUR 10.21 monthly, due to you or your children and equivalents, if you belong to the category of special schemes for independent workers or if you belong to the category of small farmers;
  • EUR 1.21 monthly, due to you or your children and equivalents, if you belong to the category of small farmers.

The retired person must submit a claim along with a pension claim or, subsequently, along with a claim for re-establishment of their pension.

The amount of Local Authority Allowance is re-assessed annually on the basis of variation in the ISTAT index and is provided to you for 13 months. For the year 2021, the full monthly amount is equal to EUR 145.14. You must submit a claim to your Local Authority of residence before the deadline of 31 January of the year following that for which you are claiming Household Allowance (ANF) and you must accompany it with a valid declaration on the composition and financial situation of your household (ISEE). For the year 2021, the ISEE is equal to EUR  8,788.99 for a household with five members, at least three of whom are minors.

Birth Allowance is a means tested benefit for low income family households  which, for 2021, amounts to: EUR 1,920 for families with an ISEE reference value of up to EUR 7,000 per year; EUR 1,440  against an ISEE reference value of up to EUR 40,000 per year and EUR 960 against an ISEE reference value over EUR 40,000 per year. These amounts are increased by 20% for the second child born in 2021.

Kindergarten Voucher: annual amount of EUR 3,000 granted to families with an ISEE value of EUR 25,000; EUR 2,500 granted to families with an ISEE value between EUR 25,001 up to EUR 40,000; EUR 1,500 granted to families with an ISEE value higher than EUR 40,000. Alternative forms of home care-assistance for an annual amount of EUR 3,000 are granted to families with children under 3 years of age and an ISEE value of EUR 25,000 upon submission of the relevant certification assessing that the child cannot attend nurseries because of a serious chronic illness.

Jargon busters

  • INPS: National Institute for Social Security.
  • Employee organisation and tax assistance centres (Patronati, CAF): authorised centres that assist the user with compiling and electronically submitting a benefit claim (this assistance is totally free of charge).
  • para-subordinate worker: atypical category of worker, similar to an employee but on a different type of contract.
  • ISEE: equivalent economic situation indicator (allows for assessment of families' economic circumstances and takes into account income, assets and composition of the household).
  • Maternity leave: period of obligatory absence from work granted to the worker during pregnancy and post-natal recovery.
  • Birth Allowance: allowance for new born children in their first year of age.
  • Kindergarten Voucher: granted to help meeting the expenses of child-raising
  • ISTAT: Institute for National Statistics.

Forms you may need to fill in

The appropriate ANF/DIP - Cod. SR16 form and further information are available on the INPS website.

The Employee organisations offer free assistance.

Know your rights

Further information is available on the INPS website:

See below for links to European Commission publications on social security coordination:

Who do you need to contact?

National Social Security Institute (INPS)
Via Ciro il Grande 21
00144 Roma RM ITALY
Tel. +39 06803164 (normal operator rates apply)
Multi-channel Contact Centre - Toll-free number: +803.164 (free of charge) Website: http://www.inp s.it

Official websites of Professionals’ Pension Funds

Employee organisations and tax assistance centres (Patronati, CAF)

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page