Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Ireland - Invalidity Pension

In what situation can I claim?

Invalidity Pension is a payment for insured people who are permanently incapable of work because of an illness or incapacity. It is available to both employees and the self-employed (since 1st December 2017). A Deciding Officer determines whether you satisfy the scheme conditionality and decides on your claim having considered the medical evidence provided by your medical practitioner, and having regard to the opinion of a Medical Assessor employed by the Department of Employment and Social Protection.

To qualify you must satisfy both social insurance (PRSI) and medical conditions.

What conditions do I need to meet?

To qualify, you must:

  • have been incapable of work for at least 12 months and be likely to be incapable of work for at least another 12 months (you will probably have been getting Illness Benefit or Disability Allowance during that time); or
  • be permanently incapable of work (in certain cases of very serious illness or disability, you can transfer directly from another social welfare payment or from your job to Invalidity Pension).

And have:

  • at least 260 weeks of PRSI contributions, at the appropriate rate, since you started paying your contributions; and
  • at least 48 weeks of paid or credited PRSI contributions in the relevant tax year.

The relevant tax year is the year or second last year before the Invalidity Pension is claimed.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

If qualifying conditions are satisfied payments are made until you reach 66 at which point you transfer to the State Pension (contributory).

Weekly Rate of Invalidity Pension in 2018

Aged under 66


Qualified adult


Qualified child

Qualified child

€31.80 (full rate)

€15.90 (half rate)

Where a qualified adult has attained pensionable age before 2 January 2014 you may get an additional increase of €71.80.

Note that the payment of qualified adult and child increases depends on the income your spouse or partner may have.

Invalidity Pensions are taxable so you will need to get in touch with the tax office as soon as your payment starts.

Blind Pension for the blind and some partially-sighted people, aged 18-66, is also available. This is a means-tested payment to blind and visually impaired people who are habitually resident in Ireland. The payment is made by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. To qualify for the Pension you will be required to have an eye test by an ophthalmic surgeon to verify your visual impairment.

Jargon busters

  • A qualified adult/child is a dependant for whom you may get an extra amount, paid as an increase to your personal payment;
  • PRSI stands for Pay Related Social Insurance - the money your employer deducts directly from your wages. To claim a contributory benefit you need to have clocked up the relevant number of contributions.

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

The links below set out your rights in law, they are not European Commission sites and do not represent the view of the Commission:

Commission publication and website:

Who do you need to contact?

Find your nearest Social Welfare Office

Irish Tax and Customs

Invalidity Pension Claims Section

Social Welfare Services

Government Buildings

Ballinalee Road


Telephone: (043) 334 0000

LoCall: 1890 92 77 70

If you are calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 43 3340000

Share this page