Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Greece - Aggregation of insurance periods abroad

Social insurance and European regulations

If you work in a Member State of the EU or EEA or in Switzerland – all of which are bound by the relevant EU regulations – then the general rule is that you no longer come under the Greek social insurance scheme and therefore the rules of your new country of residence will apply to you.

If you have lived, worked and/or paid insurance contributions in a member state of the EU or EEA or in Switzerland (all of which are bound by the relevant EU regulations), then the time of your stay in these countries, the periods you have worked and the contributions you have paid can be offset by your insurance periods in Greece in order to calculate the benefits you are entitled to here.

Which benefits are affected?

The option to offset the contributions you have paid to any of the member states of the EU or EEA or to Switzerland applies to the following benefits:

  • healthcare
  • maternity benefits/equivalent paternity benefits
  • old-age pensions
  • invalidity pensions
  • survivor's pensions
  • unemployment benefit
  • special seasonal aid

What should I do?

If you have worked in another country and are returning to Greece, you must bring with you a file with your insurance contributions, using the E104 and U1 forms (formerly E301 form), which you can obtain from the local branch of the insurance organisation in the country in which you have worked, and submit them to your insurance organisation in Greece and to the Labour Employment Office (OAED) respectively.

If you wish to look for work in Greece and have received unemployment benefits from countries in the EU or EEA or from Switzerland for a period of 4 weeks, you may transfer these benefits to Greece for a period of 3 to 6 months. You will need to bring with you a completed U2 form (former E303 form), which must be submitted to the Labour Employment Office (OAED).

Forms you may need to fill in

  • E104 and U1 forms (formerly E301 form)
  • U2 form (formerly E303 form)

Know your rights

Publication and website of the European Commission:

Who do you need to contact?

Labour Employment Office (OAED)
Insurance Directorate
Department of Bilateral Agreements and Implementation of Community Regulations
Εθνικής Αντίστασης 8/Ethnikis Antistasis 8
17342 Άνω Καλαμάκι/Ano Kalamaki
Tel.: +30 2109989000
Website: http://www.oaed.gr/

Share this page