Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Greece - Invalidity benefits

In what situation can I claim?

  • Non-institutional care benefit (Εξωϊδρυματικό Επίδομα-Παραπληγίας τετραπληγίας): the non-institutional care benefit is provided to insured persons and pensioners receiving invalidity, old-age or survivor's pensions, and to the members of their families who suffer from specific diseases, on the condition that they do not receive the total invalidity benefit.

Beneficiaries must have been diagnosed as having a degree of disability of at least 67%.

  • Pensioners' Social Solidarity Benefit (EKAS) (Επίδομα Κοινωνικής Αλληλεγγύης Συνταξιούχων): the EKAS benefit concerns public-sector pensioners and generally pensioners whose pensions are subject to public-sector provisions, as well as pensioners receiving old-age, invalidity and survivor's pensions from the incorporated social insurance organisations in EFKA, except the former Agricultural Insurance Organisation (OGA).

Pensioners on old-age, invalidity or survivor's pensions who have turned 65 years of age are entitled to the EKAS benefit.

The age requirement of 65 years does not apply to children receiving a pension due to the death of an insured parent or parent on pension, or to disabled pensioners on old-age, invalidity or survivor's pensions, who have a degree of disability of at least 80%, provided they also meet the income criteria.

  • Total Invalidity Benefit (Επίδομα Απολύτου Αναπηρίας): this benefit is provided to invalidity and old-age pensioners who are blind, provided their condition requires constant supervision and support from a third person (total invalidity).

What conditions do I need to meet?

  • Non-institutional care benefit: on the condition that the insured persons and pensioners do not receive the total invalidity benefit, and that they don’t receive the same benefit from another fund.
  • Pensioners' Social Solidarity Benefit (EKAS): this is a non-contributory benefit provided on the basis of annual income criteria, which must be met in total by pensioners (total annual net income from salaries and pensions, personal taxable income, annual family taxable income).
  • Total invalidity benefit: there are no additional requirements for the payment of the total invalidity benefit.

The invalidity benefits discussed in this chapter are exempt from tax.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

  • Non-institutional care benefit: the benefit is granted from the date of filing of the relevant application, but not before the expiry of the illness benefit.

The amount of the non-institutional care benefit in the above cases is equal to 20 minimum daily wages of unskilled labourers (i.e. 20 x EUR 33.57), as in force on 31/12/2011, while in the case of single amputees, it is equal to 10 times the minimum daily wage of unskilled labourers.

Furthermore, beneficiaries of the non-institutional care benefit receive Christmas, Easter and summer holiday allowances.

The payment of the benefit is suspended if the beneficiary is hospitalised in an asylum-like institution for more than 30 days. Moreover, the benefit will be discontinued if the pensioner receives a benefit from another organisation due to paraplegia.

In order to receive the non-institutional care benefit, you must file an application with one of the 54 KEPA (Κέντρα Πιστοποίησης Αναπηρίας - ΚΕΠΑ) Centres for Certifying Invalidity registry offices and undergo a medical examination. If you believe that the KEPA Primary Health Committee (AYE) (Πρωτοβάθμια Υγειονομική Επιτροπή - ΑΥΕ) did not give you the right degree of disability, you can lodge an appeal against the AYE medical certificate in order to request a re-examination by the Secondary Health Committee (BYE) (Δευτεροβάθμια Υγειονομική Επιτροπή-ΒΥΕ).

  • Pensioners' Social Solidarity Benefit (EKAS): the amount of the benefit and the income criteria are adjusted every year by way of a ministerial decision. The amount of the benefit is EUR 35.

In order to receive this benefit, you must submit to your insurance institution an application in hard copy and your income tax return for the previous fiscal year.

  • Total invalidity benefit:

For persons insured before 1 January 1993:

Paid to invalidity and survivor’s pensioners and to old-age pensioners who are totally blind, as long as they are in a state that requires continuous care from another person.

The amount is equal to 50% of the amount of the pension received and cannot be more than EUR 671.40 per month.

For persons insured after 1 January 1993:

  • pensioners on invalidity pension: the amount corresponds to 25% of the average per capita gross national product (GNP) of the year 1991, which is adjusted when the pensions of civil servants are raised.
  • pensioners on old-age pension who are totally blind: the amount corresponds to 50% of the pension amount received.

Jargon busters

  • Illnesses covered by the non-institutional care benefit: paraplegia or quadriplegia, myasthenia, myopathy with 67% disability, phocomelia, multiple sclerosis, cri-du-chat syndrome, osteogenesis imperfecta with 80% disability and higher, brittle bone disease with 80% disability and higher, end-stage Alzheimer's disease, muscular dystrophy, amputation of all four limbs (from the ankle up in the two lower limbs and from the wrist up in the two upper limbs) or transfemoral (above-knee) amputation of the two lower limbs or transhumeral (above-elbow) amputation of the two upper limbs or transfemoral amputation of one lower limb and transhumeral amputation of one upper limb, which do not allow for the use of artificial limbs.
  • Non-contributory benefit: Non-contributory benefits are supplementary benefits granted following an investigation into assets and income sources in specific categories of persons.
  • KEPA: the Centre for Certifying Invalidity is a uniform institution that is responsible for ensuring uniform health assessment in terms of determining the degree of disability of persons insured with all insurance organisations, including civil servants, and that of uninsured persons, who require certification of their invalidity. The task of KEPA Health Committees is to determine the degree of invalidity for old-age pension purposes, to classify persons as being disabled, and to determine the degree of disability for all social and financial benefits or facilities, which require a disability certificate and which disabled persons are entitled to receive from the state.

Forms you may need to fill in

Know your rights

The link below provides a legal definition of your rights. It is not an European Commission website, nor does it represent the views of the Commission:

Publication and website of the European Commission:

Who do you need to contact?

Unified Social Security Fund (EFKA)

International Relations Directorate
Αγίου Κωνσταντίνου 8/8, Agiou Konstantinou street

10241 Αθήνα/Athens
Tel.: +30 210 6783661
Website: http://www.efka.gov.gr

Centre for Certifying Invalidity (KEPA)
KEPA contact numbers and addresses: www.ika.gr/gr/infopages/kepa/tilefona_kepa.pdf

Share this page