Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion

Denmark - Child benefits

Here you can get information on who is entitled to child and youth benefit (børne- og ungeydelsen) - also known as family allowance (børnecheck) - how much you can be paid, and how to apply for it. You are also informed about other child benefits.

In what situation can I claim?

If you and your child live in Denmark, family allowance (børnecheck), also known as child and youth benefit (børne- og ungeydelsen), is automatically paid to you. If you or your child do not live in Denmark but you are an EU/EEA citizen and you are working in Denmark, you have to apply for child and youth benefit.

What conditions do I need to meet?

Child and youth benefit will be automatically paid to you if:

  • you live in Denmark;
  • you are fully liable for tax in Denmark;
  • your child is below the age of 18 years;
  • your child is resident in Denmark (contact Udbetaling Danmark in the event of prolonged residence abroad);
  • your child is not supported by the public;
  • your child is not married.

Read more about the rules, if you have to be posted or move back to Denmark. Please note that you are not entitled to child and youth benefit if you move from Denmark permanently, unless you continue to work in the country.

Please note also that you have to apply for child benefit if your child lives in an EU/EEA country other than Denmark but you yourself work in Denmark.

If you are a foreign national in Denmark, you can apply for child benefit if you fulfil the following conditions:

  • you have shared custody of the child;
  • you can document the family relationship;
  • you live in Denmark or are a citizen of an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein;
  • you must have lived or worked in the Danish Realm, i.e. in Denmark, the Faroes or Greenland, within the past 10 years to be entitled to child and youth benefit.

If you are a foreign national and have worked or have a permanent address in the Danish Realm, the following principle of qualification applies:

Qualification period (residence or employment in Denmark, Greenland or the Faroes)

Level of benefit

6 months


1 year


1½ years


2 years


2½ years


3 years


3½ years


4 years


4½ years


5 years


5½ years


6 years


For persons covered by Regulation (EC) No 883/04, periods of employment or residence in other EU/EEA countries and Switzerland are counted as fulfilling the principle of qualification (the principle of combining). This means that you do not lose your entitlement to child benefit if you have already earned it in your home country when you move to another Member State, including to Denmark.

Please note that the provisions above apply to those who are covered by the Trade and Cooperation Agreement concluded between the United Kingdom and the European Union.

Contact Udbetaling Danmark if you have any questions about the principle of earning entitlement or combining.

Please note that as a refugee you must hold a residence permit under Sections 7, 8 or 9b of the Aliens Act and meet the other requirements to receive child benefit.

What am I entitled to and how can I claim?

You apply for child and youth benefit by completing the form, the application and information form for payment of child and youth benefit.

Remember to attach a copy of your contract of employment from your Danish employer and your children's birth certificate/ID card to your application. If you do not have Nem-ID you also have to complete the consent- and declaration form.

How much can I receive in child and youth benefit?

The amount you can receive in child and youth benefit broadly depends on your child's age:

Your child's age

Child benefit (tax-free)

0-2 years

DKK 4,629 per quarter (in 2021)

3-6 years

DKK 3,666 per quarter (in 2021)

7-14 years

DKK 2,883 per quarter (in 2021)

15-17 years

DKK 961 per month (in 2021)

Please note, however, that the benefit depends on your and your spouse's income. This means that your and your spouse's child and youth benefit is reduced by 2% of the amount of your incomes in excess of DKK 818,300 (in 2021). In other words, you receive the full benefit if you and your spouse each separately earn less than DKK 818,300.

When will child and youth benefit be paid to me?

You can receive child and youth benefit from the first quarter after you have become a parent. Please note that the benefit is paid in advance. That is to say, you receive money in January for January, February and March. You can see the payment periods and the first quarter when you receive the benefit in the following table:

Your child is born in the period

Child and youth benefit is paid:

1 January to 31 March

20 April

1 April to 30 June

20 July

1 July to 30 September

20 October

1 October to 31 December

20 January

The benefit is paid on the last weekday before the 20th, if the 20th is a weekend or public holiday.

Child and youth benefit is paid every quarter, if your child is below the age of 15. If your child is aged 15-17, benefit is paid every month.

Who pays my child and youth benefit?

Udbetaling Danmark automatically pays child and youth benefit to the recipient's NemKonto account. It is usually the mother who receives the benefit. However, it is the father if he has full custody and does not live together with the mother.

The following can receive the benefit, if the child does not live with either of their parents:

  • foster parents, if the child is in private foster care;
  • persons who are fostering a child with a view to adoption;
  • the child him/herself, if Udbetaling Danmark assesses this as being best for the child.

You can contact Udbetaling Danmark if you think you should receive the benefit rather than the current recipient. You can also appeal against a decision.

Can I receive other benefits as a parent?

As a parent you may be entitled to other benefits. This depends on whether you belong to a particular group or you are in a particular situation.

Below you can obtain specific information (in Danish) about benefits for particular groups and situations and see what requirements have to be met to be paid to them:

The link below redirects to general content on family benefits in English on lifeindenmark.dk:

Jargon busters

  • Udbetaling Danmark (Payment Denmark) is a public authority responsible for a number of public services to citizens.
  • The National Social Appeals Board is an independent authority in the area of social affairs and employment which assesses appeals.
  • Borger.dk is your portal to the public sector. Here you can get more information about child and youth benefit.
  • NemKonto ('Easy Account') is an ordinary bank account which you open in advance. You can choose for yourself which of your bank accounts is to be your NemKonto account. The public authorities pay into this account.
  • NemID (‘Easy ID’) is a digital ID that you use when in contact with Danish authorities.

Forms you may need to fill in

  • Self-service at borger.dk: get overview and apply for child and youth benefit, etc.
  • Find the form 'Application and information form for payment of child benefits' on www.borger.dk.

Know your rights

At the links below you can obtain information on your legal rights. They do not refer to European Commission websites and therefore do not represent the views of the Commission:

European Commission publications and website:

Who do you need to contact?

Udbetaling Danmark
Kongens Vænge 8
3400 Hillerød

Tel. +45 70 11 12 13

Ankestyrelsen (National Social Appeals Board)
Ankstyrelsen Aalborg
Nytorv 7, 2nd floor, 9000 Aalborg

If PostNord is your postal delivery service please write to:
Ankestyrelsen Aalborg
7998 Statsservice
E-mail: ast@ast.dk

Secure e-mail: sikkermail@ast.dk

Telephone: +45 33411200 Monday to Friday 09.00-15.00

Ankestyrelsen København
Teglholmsgade 3
2450 København SV
E-mail: ast@ast.dk

Secure e-mail: sikkermail@ast.dk

Telephone: +45 33411200 Monday to Friday 09.00-15.00

Styrelsen for Arbejdsmarked og Rekruttering
(The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment)
Vermundsgade 38
DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
Tel. +45 72217400
E-mail: star@star.dk

See relevant information at borger.dk on child and youth benefit/family allowance. You can also obtain assistance with self-service at borger.dk by phoning 1881 or +45 70101881.

If it is not possible for you to use the online self-service facility you can obtain assistance from the local authority's Citizen Service. Find the contact details for the Citizen Service here.

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page