Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion



Dial 112

Zilveren Kruis
Tel: +31 33 445 68 70
E-mail: gbr@zilverenkruis.nl

Treatment, coverage & costs


  • To use your European Health Insurance Card, you must consult a registered doctor working under the Dutch public healthcare scheme.


  • State-provided dental care is only available for children.
  • Adults must pay for dental treatment, which is not refundable in the Netherlands.
  • If dental treatment is covered in your home country, your insurance provider there will reimburse you.

Hospital treatment

  • If you are admitted to hospital (in an emergency), you will need to present your European Health Insurance Card.


  • In some cases you might have to pay some charges. You should consult your pharmacist on questions regarding coverage.
  • If you have to pay charges which are non-refundable in the Netherlands, you can always ask your insurance provider at home whether you are eligible for reimbursement.


  • Ambulance service is free of charge, provided a doctor considers it necessary.

Air ambulance

  • If necessary a trauma-helicopter will be sent.


  • Contact the Zilveren Kruis office in the Netherlands to claim reimbursement.
Zilveren Kruis, Groep Buitenlands Recht
Postbus 650
7300 AR Apeldoorn
Tel: + 31 33 445 68 70
E-mail: gbr@zilverenkruis.nl
  • If you were unable to submit a claim for reimbursement during your stay, contact your national health insurance provider once you return home.
  • Your national health insurer will contact Zilveren Kruis. You are entitled to reimbursement on the basis of the tariffs Zilveren Kruis normally would have paid to the healthcare provider under the Dutch legislation.

Patient contribution

You have to pay a co-payment for

  • some medicines,
  • maternity care,
  • patient transport by car, taxi or public transport,
  • physiotherapy,
  • medical devices,
  • certain forms of long term care.

Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy

  • You need a referral from you general practitioner or specialist.
  • Are you visiting the Netherlands with the purpose of receiving a treatment? Then you need the S2 form (provided by your health insurance provider).

How do I apply for an EHIC?

The EHIC-card can be requested from your own healthcare insurer.

Doctors & hospitals accepting the EHIC

All healthcare providers and hospitals in the Netherlands should accept the EHIC.

Loss of card

Contacts for holders of EHICs issued in the Netherlands

In case of loss of the EHIC-card, contact your health insurance provider.

No related news in the last six months.

Share this page