- Call 112
Helpline (general practitioners)
Treatment, coverage & costs
- You can see a general practitioner free of charge.
- You must pay a fee to see a specialist (such as a cardiologist, psychiatrist or gynaecologist).
- A patient should never be charged for specialised medical care if:
- the patient is referred to another specialist at the same hospital
- the patient is pregnant
- the patient is a child aged under 2
- emergency medical care is followed by in-patient treatment
- You can also see a private doctor or attend a medical clinic. In such cases you must pay the full fee.
- The Health Insurance Fund will reimburse dental care to insured adults up to 40 euros per year. The benefit applies to essential dental care services. Are you under 19? Then you can get free dental treatment.
- Those benefits can be used only at the dentists who have concluded a contract with the Estonian Health Insurance Fund.
- Further information (in English)
There is a standard daily in-patient fee for a hospital stay of up to 10 days.
There is no in-patient fee for:
- cases related to pregnancy and childbirth
- intensive care
- specialised in-patient treatment for patients under 18
- Different discount rates are applied, depending on the diagnosis, the medication, the patient's age, etc.
- If the medication is not on the national list of medicinal products (in Estonian), you will have to pay the full cost. These charges are non-refundable in Estonia. However, you can claim reimbursement when you get home.
- Ambulance transport is free in an emergency.
- Only air ambulance transport covering emergencies occurring within Estonia is free of charge.
- Fees are not reimbursed in Estonia. You will be charged your share of the costs only.
- If you have to pay for care, contact your national health insurance provider when you get home to claim reimbursement.
- Home visit by a general practitioner – up to €5
- Consulting a specialist (including a dentist) – up to €5
- In-patient fee in hospital – up to €2.50 per day, up to a maximum of €25 per hospital stay
Dialysis, oxygen & chemotherapy
Services are available in 2 major hospitals
How do I apply for an EHIC?
Doctors & hospitals accepting the EHIC
- List of healthcare providers (in Estonian only)