CALL: EGNSS MARKET UPTAKE 2019-2020
Call identifier: H2020-SPACE-EGNSS-2019-2020 Publication date: 27 October 2017
Call summary and aims
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (EGNSS) encompasses the satellite navigation system established under the Galileo programme and the European Geostationary Overlay System (EGNOS).
Galileo is providing improved positioning and timing information with significant positive implications for many European services and users. EGNOS is Europe's regional satellite-based augmentation system (SBAS) that is used to improve the performance and provides information on the reliability of GPS and in the future for Galileo.
The use of satellite navigation has helped drive world economic growth, particularly in high-tech industries. The additional resiliency provided by Galileo is expected to enable a range of new applications and services that will benefit from increased positioning reliability, thus further driving economic growth in Europe and beyond.
For the EGNSS market uptake the development of downstream applications is key. It will enable not only to maximise the adoption of Galileo and EGNOS but also to stimulate the EU GNSS downstream industry competitiveness, while capturing public benefits.
EGNOS is already fully operational and Galileo Initial Services (Open Service, Search and Rescue service and Public Regulated Service) are available. Both systems are providing differentiators that should be leveraged in the solution proposed by the applicant. As examples, EGNOS provides integrity information which is key for safety critical applications. Galileo enables higher accuracy and better multipath mitigation, thanks to dual (or triple) frequency, wide bandwidth signals (AltBOC), data-less (pilot) channels, better accuracy for single-frequency users (NeQuick model). What is also differentiating Galileo from other GNSS is that it is the first constellation to contribute to Cospas Sarsat MEOSAR.
Currently most of the EGNSS innovative applications are integrating different technologies. Further developments in the frame of integration of EGNSS with Earth Observation (EO) systems and other technologies are encouraged in order to deliver added value services fully tailored on end user needs. Optimised system architectures have to be defined to fully exploit the potential of synergies/complementary characteristics of the different systems, providing significant benefits in a number of key market segments and operational scenarios.
Overall, the scope of this call is wider than standalone usage of EGNOS and/or Galileo, it is encouraging innovative use of GNSS and fusion with other sensors and positioning technologies, (e.g. Bluetooth beacons, localisation through Wi-Fi base stations, Inertial measurement units, Digital Video Broadcasting etc.).
This priority will focus on two main activities: development of innovative Galileo and EGNOS enabled applications in different market segments and European GNSS awareness raising and capacity building.
The aim of the first activity under this call is to support the market uptake of European GNSS in Europe and beyond. The innovative applications should leverage the differentiators of EGNOS and Galileo systems: e.g. multi- frequencies, high accuracy, authentication services, better accuracy for single-frequency users. Areas of innovation will include EGNOS and Galileo enabled applications with commercial impact, that will foster green, safe and smart mobility, digitisation, and will also support societal resilience and contribute to the protection of the environment.
The second activity is dedicated to the development of EGNSS competences. The actions will focus on raising awareness and providing opportunities for the creation of networks of industrial relationships. International cooperation is welcome as part of the action, when adding value and increasing the impact.
Overall, these two activities will help to maximise the uptake of Galileo and EGNOS and to exploit the potential of the European GNSS industry, and contribute to growth, competitiveness and jobs in this sector, while capturing public benefits
To facilitate access to opportunities for applicants the following list includes dedicated 'Applications in Satellite Navigation – Galileo' activities in related calls and topics from other calls of H2020, in addition to those in this call:
- ICT-28-2018: Future Hyper-connected Sociality
- DT-ICT-08-2019: Agricultural digital integration platforms
Societal challenge 1 – Health
- SC1-BHC-13-2019: Mining big data for early detection of infectious disease threats driven by climate change and other factors
- SC1-DTH-03-2018: Adaptive smart working and living environments supporting active and healthy ageing
- SC1-DTH-05-2019: Large scale implementation of digital innovation for health and care in an ageing society
Societal challenge 2 – Energy
- LC-SC3-ES-6-2020: Research on advanced tools and technological development
Societal challenge 4 - Transport:
- MG-2-9-2019: Integrated multimodal, low-emission freight transport systems and logistics (Inco Flagship)
- LC-MG-1-2-2018: Sustainable multi-modal inter-urban transport, regional mobility and spatial planning
- MG-2-6-2019: Moving freight by Water: Sustainable Infrastructure and Innovative Vessels
- MG-2-8-2019: Innovative applications of drones for safety in transport
- MG-3-2-2018: The Autonomous Ship
- DT-ART-01-2018: Testing, validation and certification procedures for highly automated driving functions under various traffic scenarios based on pilot test data
- DT-ART-04-2019: Developing and testing shared, connected and cooperative automated vehicle fleets in urban areas for the mobility of all
- DT-ART-02-2018: Support for networking activities and impact assessment for road automation
Moreover, Galileo activities are supported via the Fundamental Elements part of the EGNSS programme.[[https://www.gsa.europa.eu/gsa/grants]]
In accordance with the Commission decision C(2014)4995 this call will be implemented by the European GNSS Agency in indirect management.
- 16 October 2018 00:32 The submission session is now available for: DT-SPACE-EGNSS-2-2019-2020(IA), SU-SPACE-EGNSS-3-2019-2020(IA), SPACE-EGNSS-4-2019(CSA), LC-SPACE-EGNSS-1-2019-2020(IA)
Topics and submission service
To access the Submission Service, please select the TOPIC of your interest and then open the Submission Service tab.
To access existing draft proposals, please login to the portal and select My Proposals from the My Area menu.