Aim of the grant preparation
- gather legal, administrative and financial information from you as a prospective beneficiary (project participant) and any third parties linked to you
- make sure the Description of the Action (DoA, Annex 1 to the grant agreement) and the Estimated budget for the action/Estimated Lump Sum Breakdown for lump sum pilot projects (Annex 2) match the proposal, any relevant information in the invitation to prepare the grant agreement, and, if applicable, the ethics review report, and the security scrutiny report
- establish the key points of the grant agreement (when the project starts, reporting periods, amount of pre-financing, need for consortium agreement, and, if applicable, ethical issues, third parties linked to the beneficiaries, in-kind contributions provided by third parties, subcontracting)
- verify your financial capacity (principally, this concerns certain types of coordinators only, other participants will be check in exceptional cases; for details see next page)
Please use the Funding & Tenders Portal's My Projects page to prepare your grant by entering the necessary data and sign your grant agreement online. These data will also be available in PDF format.
Grant preparation process
This process summarises the main steps to finalise the signature of your grant agreement:
- Enter & submit grant data
- Entering legal, administrative & financial data
- Preparing the Description of the Action (DoA), Annex 1
- Ethics review (ethics screening & assessment)
- Security scrutiny
- Signing the grant agreement
You will receive e-mail notifications about all the actions that you need to carry out for the grant preparation.
For more detail, please see the list of all the grant-related notifications and their recipients.
Termination of the grant preparation
If the consortium decided not to sign their grant during the grant preparation phase, they can launch the termination process through the grant management IT tool. See the detailed screens and descriptions in the on termination before signing the grant.
- Guidance on establishing a consortium agreement
- How to successfully manage a Horizon 2020-funded project - 10 practical tips on research project management
- Roles and access rights
- Horizon 2020 Coordinators' Day on Grant Agreement Preparation
Follow the latest recorded information session organised by the Commission for Grant Coordinators:
- Overview of the grant preparation process (video starting at 5:10 and presentation)
- Participant Portal – Paperless grant management (video starting at 33:35 and presentation)
- Your organisation: legal status and financial capacity (video starting at 1:02:50 and presentation)
- Legal and financial issues (video starting at 2:02:20 and presentation)
- Managing your project: Do's and don'ts (video starting at 4:54:06 and presentation)
- Scientific/Technical description of the project - Description of Action (video starting at 5:11:55 and presentation)
- IT tools, support and practical details (video starting at 6:11:15 and presentation)
- Common Exploitation Booster Services pilot for H2020 projects (video starting at 6:38:30 and presentation)
- You can also check the full agenda with presentations.
- Poster of Horizon 2020 grant lifecycle