CO2 reuse prize – €1.5 million
- Rules & Guidance
Horizon prize CO2 reuse will reward innovative products utilising CO2 that could significantly reduce the atmospheric emissions of CO2 when deployed on a commercial scale. The prize will induce actors in this field to do more to improve their processes and products in order to reduce atmospheric emissions of CO2. Moreover, the prize aims to mobilise and enhance private R&I investment, attract non-traditional players, create new partnerships and incentivise researchers and innovators to enhance efforts to abate emissions of anthropogenic CO2 in the atmosphere.
Why this Prize?
Preventing dangerous climate change is a key priority for the European Union. The EU is committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions substantially while encouraging other nations and regions to do likewise. One way to help these efforts is to make use of the CO2 by integrating it in consumer products. However, CO2 reuse technologies are still facing a number of technical, commercial and financial barriers.
It is expected that the prize will:
- accelerate innovation in CO2 utilisation technologies, also in SMEs
- facilitate discovering the real potential of CO2 utilisation to contribute to climate mitigation
- increase transparency of technology readiness, barriers, costs, environmental performance and innovation needs
- increase leverage of private finance for innovation
- provide new business models and value chains in the CO2 utilisation sector
The development of innovative products which reuse CO2 in order to significantly improve net CO2 emissions, while overcoming technical, commercial and/or financial barriers.
More detailed information on the criteria for the contest will be published soon.
The contest has been launched and you can apply until 3 April 2019.
The rules of contest are available online.