Open Innovation and Living Labs shaping the cities and regions of the future
Fringe session organised by European Network of Living Labs (ENoLL)
Studio 211/212, 11/03/2014 (09:00-10:45)
The objective of this interactive session is to explore how living labs are supporting and can support cities and regions in embracing new technologies while facing the main societal challenges today.
Guided by existing initiatives and specific examples, this session will approach city and region innovation considering 4 different dimensions: the organisational perspective as a complex innovation ecosystems where new business models are required; the entrepreneurial perspective, as start-ups, developers and entrepreneurs have to overcome many barriers to benefit from the city ecosystem; the technical perspective (open data, cloud, IoT, security, etc); and the Human and citizen perspective. Involvement of the local innovation and creative communities, open platforms, current challenges in scaling initiatives and new governance models will be important aspects to tackle in this session.
The session will be enriched with the inputs from the European Innovation Partnership in Smart Cities and Communities (EIP SCC) & both representatives and the audience will be able to get more information about upcoming funding opportunities to support city innovation.
Introduction - Living Labs & City Service Development Kit
- No Smart Cities without Creative Cities: The Creative Ring in Europe
- Why cities invest in ICT & the EUROCITIES open data guidebook
- The city as a living lab: Barcelona's initiative
- Human Smart Cities: The Lisbon case
- Smart Cities & Communities; actions at a European level
- Prof. Pieter Ballon, Director Living Labs at and coordinator of Smart Cities iMinds
- Mr George Niland, Policy Advisor at EUROCITIES
- Mr. Artur Serra, Deputy director i2CAT
- Ms Ines Garriga, Director of Creativity and Innovation of the City of Barcelona
- Prof. Dr. Alvaro Oliveira, CEO Alfamicro
- Mr Axel Volkery, European Commission, DG MOVE
Moderator: Mr. Jarmo Eskelinen, CEO of Forum Virium Helsinki, Chair European Network of Living Labs
Links and Documents
The Convention is pleased to host
Tweets about Innovation Convention 2014, "#euic2014"