Crop genetic improvement technologies for sustainable agricultural innovation
Fringe session organised by the European Academies Science Advisory Council (EASAC) and the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission
Studio 211/212, 11/03/2014 (11:15-12:30)
Agriculture faces major challenges to deliver global food security and the EU is not immune from these challenges. All paths to innovation should be examined, to build on existing achievements for good agronomic practice.
This fringe event, based on Panel-led general discussion, is designed to draw on recent work by EASAC on crop genetic improvement technologies (New Breeding Techniques as well as Genetic Modification) and on emerging plant diseases, to explore how innovation and its regulation must capitalise on the scientific opportunities now coming within range. The initial EASAC presentation will cite international evidence to explore key opportunities and challenges for sustainable agriculture in the EU, and the need to establish a coherent policy framework to achieve the goals of innovation and regulation. Other Panel speakers will be asked to address specific issues, for NBTs, other approaches to sustainable agricultural innovation, experience from outside the EU, and from the perspectives of the producers and consumers of the products of innovation. Following these short Panel contributions, there will be ample time allocated for discussion with the audience to clarify emerging issues for the impact of innovation in the EU – for sustainable agriculture and also for research in the public and private sector science base, innovation capacity, competiveness and international collaboration.
A short summary of the meeting will be prepared to provide a basis for continuing discussion with the incoming European Parliament and Commissioners.
- 11:30 Welcome
- 11:35 Opening by Chairman of the EASAC Working Group
- 11:40 Presentation of EASAC report on “Planting the Future”
- 12:00 Panel discussion
- 12:20 Open discussion
- 12:40 Summing up
- 12:45 ends
- Prof. Jos van der Meer, EASAC President
- Mr David Wilkinson, JRC Director for Scientific Policy and Stakeholder Relation (tbc)
- Prof. ter Meulen, Chairman of the EASAC Working Group
- Prof. Joachim Schiemann, Member of the EASAC Working Group & Director of German Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants
Members of Panel discussion:
- Mr Guy Van Den Eede (JRC)
- Prof. Pere Puigdomènech (Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics, Barcelona, Spain)
- Prof. Maria Salomé Pais, University of Lisbon
- Dr. Robin Fears (EASAC), Chair of the panel
Links and Documents
The Convention is pleased to host
Tweets about Innovation Convention 2014, "#euic2014"