Data for research
DG Regional Policy actively encourages research and the use of data on the ESIF and Structural Funds. Below we indicate some of the data available across different programming periods. Increasingly, this data is made available on the ESIF Open Data Platform in the data catalogue: https://cohesiondata.ec.europa.eu/browse . There you will find metadata pages and link to graphs giving insights into the dataset contents.
The DG REGIO evaluation unit welcomes feedback and will try to respond promptly to requests. Should you need data that is not in the catalogue, or should you require additional explanations (beyond what is in the metadata) please contact us.
1. European Structural and Investment Funds 2014-2020
Datasets available on the ESIF Open Data platform (with metadata files) - https://cohesiondata.ec.europa.eu/browse
- ESIF 2014-2020 - planned Finance
- ESIF-2014-2020 – finance implementation Details (project selection and expenditure)
- ESIF 2014-2020 - achievements (common indicators – targets and implementation)
- ESIF 2014-2020 – ERDF-ESF-CF – detailed thematic “categorisation” data
- Climate tracking – CF/EAFRD/EMFF/ERDF/ ESF
- ERDF/ CF Major Projects approved (financial details)
- Financial Instruments implementation (finances)
2. Historic data on Structural Funds by Member state
- This dataset (first published March 2018) provides historic long-term regionalised (NUTS-2) annual EU expenditure data for different EU funds - ERDF, Cohesion Fund, EAFRD/EAGGF and ESF. It is the most complete dataset of it kind covering 4 programming periods, however, it does not contain thematic information. Historic EU payments - regionalised and modelled
- Geography of expenditure study, August 2015 (Ex post 2007-2013): More information
- Regional expenditure study 2000-2006: Breakdown of ERDF, Cohesion Fund and ISPA expenditures by regions, by sectors and by Objectives. The report gives an overview of the results and the methodological issues, the complete data is contained in the annexes - Final Report
- EU Budget commitments by fund by year and by programme
a. Data on EU Payments
b. Data on budget commitments
3. Period 2007-2013
For the programming period 2007-2013, progress in implementation was reported by the managing authorities in the programme annual implementation reports (AIR). This led to the capture of monitoring information on (1) allocations decided and how they changed over time, (2) amounts allocated to projects (project selection) and (3) information on ERDF and Cohesion Fund achievements as measured by the use of core indicators (common EU indicators).
- Explanatory Note
- Planned categorisation allocations end-2008 vs end-2015
- Categorisation / project selection data - reported by programmes by combination of dimension codes
- Core indicators data for ERDF/Cohesion Fund - reported by programme
4. Lists of beneficiaries
Since 2007, there is a legal obligation on Member States to provide information on the beneficiaries of Cohesion Policy.
- 2014-2020 portal providing access to national beneficiary lists
- 2007-2013 portal providing access to national beneficiary lists (Choose a country to access the beneficiary list from 2007-2013)
5. Major Projects (ERDF/Cohesion fund)
- 2014-2020: Major Projects approved (financial details)
- Unit costs of major projects. DG Regional Policy has created two databases with unit costs on major projects. More details and explanations can be found on this website in the ex post evaluation of the ERDF and the Cohesion Fund in the 2000-2006 programming period.
6. ERDF/CF/ESF expenditure "Categorisation system" - background documentation
- Period 2014-2020: The categorisation system (with 8 dimensions) was set out in Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 215/2014
- EGESIF Guidance Note
- List of NUTS-3 regions (2010) with indication of specific territory status used by DG REGIO (mountain, island and sparsely populated NUTS 3 regions)
- List of NUTS-3 regions (2010) by urban/rural typology as defined by EUROSTAT. The urban/rural typology methodology is available on the site.
- Correspondence between 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 "priority themes" and "Intervention field" codes
- Period 2007-2013: The categorisation system (with 5 dimensions) was set out in COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 1828/2006