Rehabilitation of the la Mina neighbourhood in Sant Adrià de Besòs (Urban II Programme)
In an effort to revive a neighbourhood in the city of Sant Adrià del Besòs, the European Commission supported this project which was aimed primarily at promoting new technologies, improving the business environment, integrating disadvantaged people into the labour market and improving the urban environment. The ERDF contribution amounted to €12.3 million, representing 50% of the total cost of €24.7 million. The project is now complete.
This wide-reaching programme for the rehabilitation and the social and urban transformation of the la Mina neighbourhood in Sant Adrià de Besòs targeted 13 000 residents affected by problems related to severe degradation, economic and social poverty and a lack of basic services.
The project enabled a thorough intervention in the various fields (housing, urbanism, services, urban fabric and economy) that make up this neighbourhood.
The interventions are extremely diverse:
- physical transformation of the coastline;
- recuperation of the banks of the River Besòs;
- creation of infrastructures and services;
- construction of new facilities such as the sports centre, the CAP (Primary Care Centre) and the Font de la Mina cultural centre;
- implementation of social and professional integration programmes.
The project was undertaken thanks to the URBAN II initiative, which aims to promote the social and economic regeneration of troubled urban districts in the European Union.
The programme set out to address these problems by focusing on five key priorities:
- Renovation that respects the environment of abandoned areas. The main actions included the rehabilitation of rundown urban areas;
- Employment pacts. This essentially involved supporting the activities of companies, trade, cooperatives and small and medium-sized enterprises, and also improving social services;
- Promotion of basic and social integration services, education and training for excluded social groups;
- Waste handling, water management, the reduction of noise and hydrocarbon consumption, aimed essentially at promoting reduced levels of waste, rubbish recycling as well as waste collection and processing;
- Information society. The key actions included promoting access to new technologies and their use.
For the period 2007-2013, €61 million have been committed to other URBAN projects. These include actions in Barcelona (Trinitat Nova: €16.2 million), Cerdanyola del Vallès (5 actions: €16.2 million), l’Hospitalet de Llobregat (El Gornal: €16.2 million) and Santa Coloma de Gramenet (5 actions: €14.6 million).
Total InvestmentEUR 24 680 000
EU InvestmentEUR 12 340 000
Consorci del barri de La Mina
E -08930 , Sant Adrià de Besòs
Web Consorci del barri de La Mina