New double-track railway line between Palermo and Carini increases capacity and heralds cleaner urban transport
A major scheme to upgrade and construct double-track railway lines and build several stations along what is known as the “Palermo bypass” will improve services and provide safer travel.
This project investment specifically covers the laying of 4.7 km of new track and the development of related infrastructure between Bivio Oreto and Notarbartolo station in Palermo. Three new stations have been built – Palazzo di Giustizia, Lolli, and Guadagna – while two others along the route have been upgraded. In addition, Notarbartolo station itself has been expanded.
Along with the construction of the second line, the track has been electrified. Other works included:
- Upgrading signalling and telecommunications equipment with the aim of improving track safety, particularly through the installation of a new Command and Control System;
- Replacing the Guadagna tunnel with one that can accommodate the new double-track layout;
- Replacing a single-track bridge over the Oreto river with one that can carry two tracks;
- Lowering the track structure between the new bridge and Vespri station;
- Constructing an artificial tunnel between the Vespri and Orleans stations; and
- Building a 1 200 metre-long tunnel which runs parallel to one that follows the city’s Re Frederico street.
The track forms part of the Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) railway line which runs through to Palermo from Rome and Berlin. The EU is spending billions of Euros on the TEN-T programme in order to upgrade transport infrastructure across Europe. The goal is to make it easier for people and goods to move through and across Member States.
This project created about 500 jobs during the implementation phase and is expected to create 24 posts upon completion.
Total investment and EU funding
Total investment for the project “Double track lines Palermo-Carini, lot Oreto-Notarbartolo” is EUR 294 000 000, of which the EU’s European Regional Development Fund is contributing EUR 210 886 331 from the Operational Programme “Sicilia 2007-2013” for the 2007 to 2013 programming period under the priority "Transport networks and links".
Operational programmeOperational Programme 'Sicily'
Total InvestmentEUR 294 000 000
EU InvestmentEUR 210 886 331
Vincenzo , Falgares
Tel. +39 0917072120
I -90123 , Palermo
Filippo , Palazzo
Tel. +39 0916034735