Completing key road scheme brings all-round improvements
A project to construct and upgrade sections of the Northern road axis in Crete looks set to cut journey times and improve road safety on stretches that previously had high accident rates. The work also promises to reduce congestion, while cutting noise and road pollution in towns and villages along the route.
The road is crucial to island life as it connects to all main ports and airports, which makes it the principal link to mainland Greece, Europe and the Mediterranean area. It is also part of an important Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) route.
This project investment includes construction of the following:
- A 30 km section of the road running between Kasteli, Kolympari and Galatas in the Chania prefecture;
- The Amari interchange in the Rethymno prefecture;
- The Papanastasiou interchange and its connecting roads, as well as the 5.5 km Malia to Lasithi road – all in the Irakleio prefecture;
- A 9 km stretch of road between Ag. Nikolaos and Kalo Chorio in the Lasithi prefecture;
- The Afchin Agkathias-Chamezi section and the completion of the Chamezi-Siteia section, which have a total length of 3.8 km.
Landscaping, lighting, archaeology and technical assistance were also included in the project.
Further infrastructure work has been undertaken to construct and upgrade the Northern road axis across its entire 300 km length, co-funded by the EU through separate project phases.
Total investment and EU funding
Total investment for the project “Completion of the construction and upgrade of sections of the Northern road axis of Kriti” is EUR 94 663 763, of which the EU’s Cohesion Fund is contributing EUR 70 515 776 from the Operational Programme “Improving Accessibility” for the 2007 to 2013 programming period. Work falls under the priority “Road Transport trans-European Network”.
Operational programmeOperational Programme 'Improvement of Accessibility'
Total InvestmentEUR 94 663 763
EU InvestmentEUR 70 515 776
EL -114 71 , Αθήνα (Athens)
Ελλάδα - Ellada
EL -11473 , Αθήνα (Athens)
Ελλάδα - Ellada