Regional OP Norte
The OP will contribute to promoting the competitiveness of the regional economy and the
region's sustainable development and internal cohesion. Investments will also assist the
region to contribute to the achievement of key EU and national development goals:
- Around 37% of the OP resources are allocated to support the competitiveness and innovation in SMEs.
- Around 12 % of the resources will boost research and technical development (RTD) and innovation, helping the country reach its national Europe 2020 target by increasing its GDP spend on RTD from 2.7% to 3.3 % (it was only 1.5% in 2011). In particular, the OP contribution is expected to foster RTD and innovation knowledge transfer to SMEs.
- Around 6 % will be dedicated to promoting sustainable and quality jobs and supporting labour mobility, contributing to the attainment of the national Europe 2020 target of 72.8 % of 20-64 year-olds in employment (68.7 % in 2012).
- Around 13% will be dedicated to promoting education and qualifications, helping the country reach its national Europe 2020 target to reduce early school leaving to 10% (from 23.2% in 2011).
- Around 11 % will be used to promote sustainable urban development.
- Almost 5% of the OP funding aims to support the shift towards a low-carbon economy, (through investments in energy efficiency and sustainable mobility); these funds will contribute to Portugal's national Europe 2020 target of 31% of energy deriving from renewable sources (27.3 % in 2011). To ensure the sustainable development of the energy sector, the support will aim in particular to improve energy efficiency and sustainable mobility
The ESF share is 17.2%
The Programme will focus on 9 main priorities:
- Research, development and innovation
- Competitiveness and internationalisation of the regional economy
- Low-carbon economy
- Environmental quality
- Urban system
- Employment and labour mobility
- Social inclusion and poverty
- Education and lifelong learning
- Institutional capacity
- Increase the value of exports in % of business volume of SME to more than 22%;
- 60% of SMEs with 10 and more employees engaging in Innovation activities;
- 92% of pupils to benefit from upgraded primary and secondary schools;
- Increase the capacity of childcare or education infrastructure by 25,500 persons;
- Support some 50 research projects in the region;
- Increase the number of enterprises cooperating with research institutions by 180;
- Create or rehabilitate around 1,040,000 m2 of open space in urban areas;
- Support the rehabilitation of some 500 households in urban areas;
- Entire population to benefit from improved health services, including 116 health and social utilities supported;
- Support some 10,000 participants in socially necessary job actions;
- Increase the % of households with improved energy classification by 2,400;
- Contribute to an annual decrease of greenhouse gases of some 22,500 CO2eq tons;
- Increase to 80% of municipalities who make available Internet to citizens;
- Support some 4,600 SMEs with grants or other replayable forms of support;
- Contribute to creating around 7.150 direct jobs.
- Regional Development Fund (ERDF): 2,718,804,548.00 €
- European Social Fund (ESF): 659,966,183.00 €
Total OP budget: 4,209,264,374.00 €
Total EU contribution: 3,378,770,731.00 €View the data
CCI number: 2014PT16M2OP001
ESI Funds OPEN DATA
Achievements and FinancesRegional OP Norte