Indian Ocean Area
The Interreg V Indian Ocean cooperation programme for the period 2014-2020 focuses on cooperation between the outermost regions of Réunion and Mayotte, and 12 third countries in the southern Indian Ocean (Union of the Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Mozambique, Kenya, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Australia), as well as the French Southern and Antarctic Lands.
The programme has two strands: one strand concerns cross-border cooperation between Réunion and its closest neighbours grouped together within the Indian Ocean Commission (Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles), and the other is a broader transnational strand relating to cooperation between Réunion, Mayotte and the group of countries and territories that are programme partners. The programme is a key tool for regional cooperation on the part of Réunion and Mayotte with the neighbouring countries.
The programme consists of five strategic priorities (plus technical assistance for implementing the programme):
1. Creating a research and innovation centre, with a particular focus on pooling research and development resources in the pharmacopoeia, biotechnology, energy and climate change sectors.
2. Strengthening trade, particularly in the agricultural and agri-food sectors, sustainable fisheries management and cooperation in the tourism sector.
3. Developing capacities for climate change adaptation and risk prevention and management, by strengthening regional civil protection measures; cooperation on epidemiological and infectious risks; and prevention of risks associated with marine activities (marine and coastal pollution) and the very real shark risk in the region.
4. Promoting natural and cultural heritage through joint environmental and biodiversity conservation measures.
5. Raising skill levels by developing high-quality training (initial, vocational and tertiary), and fostering staff mobility and exchanges.
The results expected from these investments include:
- support for approximately 20 research organisations involved in cross-border or transnational research projects,
- the organisation of approximately 30 events to bring the economic players together (conferences, seminars, fact-finding missions, etc.),
- the founding of a Regional Centre of Expertise in Réunion focusing on risk management and climate change,
- the setting-up of approximately 30 collaborative projects aimed at the conservation and promotion of natural and cultural heritage,
- the participation of approximately 1 000 people in cross-border mobility initiatives or in joint education and training programmes in the Indian Ocean.
- Regional Development Fund (ERDF): 63,157,387.00 €
Total OP budget: 74,302,828.00 €
Total EU contribution: 63,157,387.00 €View the data
CCI number: 2014TC16RFTN009
ESI Funds OPEN DATA
Achievements and FinancesIndian Ocean Area