Information Note on the Participation of Switzerland in Erasmus+
While implementing legislation for this popular vote will now have to be enacted by the Swiss Federal Council within three years, the referendum explicitly prevents the government from concluding any new international agreement contrary to this initiative. Hence, as an immediate consequence, the Federal Council is not in a position to sign the Protocol extending the EU-Swiss agreement on the free movement of persons to Croatia, which joined the Union on 1 July 2013 as new Member State, and is analysing the different implications.
The EU has always made clear that there is a close link between Swiss participation in Erasmus+ and the Protocol, as the programme is closely linked to the free movement of persons (exchange of researchers and students). Given the current circumstances, the EU and the Swiss authorities have agreed to suspend on-going negotiations on Swiss participation in Erasmus+ and took note of the impossibility of signing an agreement in time for the signing of contracts with beneficiaries selected under the 2014 calls for proposals.
Therefore, as foreseen in the Erasmus+ Regulation, until such an agreement is signed, Switzerland will not participate in Erasmus+ on an equal footing with Member States (i.e. as a "Programme Country") as initially envisaged, but will rather enjoy the same status as other third countries (i.e. as a "Partner Country").
List of activities open to Swiss participation
|Activity||Where to submit?|
|Erasmus+: Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees *||EACEA1|
|Knowledge Alliances, Sector Skills Alliances**||EACEA|
|Strategic Partnerships in Education, Training and Youth**||National Agency|
|Jean Monnet ***||EACEA|
|Capacity Building in the field of youth||EACEA|
|Sport Collaborative Partnerships**||EACEA|
1 Education, Audiovisual, and Culture Executive Agency located in Brussels
* Students can send their applications for Joint Master's Degrees directly to the university concerned. The list of consortia and links for applications are available on the EACEA website.
** As partner organisation
*** As applicant or partner organisation
Concerning the various activities mentioned, you may wish to contact:
- Your National Agency - for further information on decentralised actions;
- The Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency - for centralised actions;
- The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) - for general information;
- The CH Foundation (Swiss National Agency) – for further details.
Find out more
- Press release IP/14/83 - Member States urged to improve quality checks in universities and vocational colleges