Mons 2015 visits pass the 2-million mark
- 1 year 10 months ago
2 million people have visited Mons, Belgium, since 24 January to experience the 2015 European Capital of Culture. Attracting 2 million visitors was a key goal of Mons 2015.
Photo: David Bormans
The 2 millonth visitor, Sabrina from Fontaine-L'Evêque, Belgium, was welcomed by Mons' mayor, Elio Di Rupo, and Yves Vasseur, the curator of Mons 2015. She was visiting Mons to see the Parade sauvage and Verlaine, cellule 252 exhibitions with a group of colleagues.
The Mons 2015 Foundation and the city of Mons are delighted to have reached this goal, with visitors set to keep coming throughout December.
Since 24 January, Mons has welcomed over 2 million visitors, here's what some of them saw:
- 116,000 people visited the Grand Huit, the Grand Ouest and the Grande Clameur
- 455,000 visited exhibitions and museums (5 new museums have opened since April 2015)
- 50,000 came for La ville en jeux festival
- 50,000 for the metamorphosis weekend
- 100,000 for the opening celebration
The number of group visits welcomed by VisitMons (the city's tourist office) has shot up 25 times compared to previous years - there have been roughly 5,000 group visits to Mons since January 2015. For all of 2014, there were 240 such visits.
More than 400 international journalists have been received by the Mons 2015 Foundation since October 2014.