Sixteen sites awarded the European Heritage Label
- 3 years 1 week ago
Sixteen sites have been awarded the European Heritage Label, to be conferred during an award ceremony in April.
The awards, highlighting heritage sites that celebrate and symbolise European integration, ideals, and history, will go to:
- Münster and Osnabrück – Sites of the Peace of Westphalia , Germany
- Hambach Castle , Germany
- The Heart of Ancient Athens , Greece
- Archive of the Crown of Aragon , Spain
- Residencia de Estudiantes , Spain
- Abbey of Cluny , France
- Robert Schuman's House , France
- Pan European Picnic Memorial Park , Hungary
- Museo Casa Alcide De Gasperi , Italy
- Kaunas of 1919-1940 , Lithuania
- Union of Lublin , Poland
- The May 3, 1791 Constitution , Poland
- The historic Gdańsk Shipyard , Poland
- General Library of the University of Coimbra , Portugal
- Charter of Law of Abolition of the Death Penalty , Portugal
- Franja Partisan Hospital , Slovenia
They will be conferred by Tibor Navracsics, the European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport at a ceremony in Brussels on 15 April, which will be attended by various European political representatives and independent experts in the field.
18 Member States were entitled to participate in this selection process, on a voluntary basis: Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia.
A total of 36 sites were submitted to the European Commission, in view of their roles in European history and the activities they develop to highlight their European dimension.
A report was issued in December 2014 by the independent selection panel in charge of assessing the applications on the basis of the established criteria.
The labelled sites will be entitled to display a plaque bearing the logo of the European Heritage Label. They will also be integrated into the EU's communication and promotion strategy for the European Heritage Label, thus enjoying greater visibility for their sites.
Finally, winners will attend the annual site managers' conference where they can benefit from networking opportunities and peer learning.