European Heritage Label Award Ceremony 15 April
- Wednesday, 15 April, 2015
- Brussels, Belgium
On 15 April 2015, a ceremony is to be held in Brussels, Belgium, to commemorate the sixteen sites awarded the European Heritage Label in 2015.
The event will be at Solvay Library, 137 Rue Belliard, in Parc Léopold in Brussels. Doors open at 19:00 (CET) and the ceremony will get underway at 19:30 (CET).
Attending the event will be Tibor Navaracsics, the European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport, along with politicians from across Europe, heritage experts and stakeholders.
Out of 36 candidates, 16 sites were picked to hold the label, coming from 10 different countries:
- Münster and Osnabrück – Sites of the Peace of Westphalia, Germany
- Hambach Castle, Germany
- The Heart of Ancient Athens, Greece
- Archive of the Crown of Aragon, Spain
- Residencia de Estudiantes, Spain
- Abbey of Cluny, France
- Robert Schuman's House, France
- Pan-European Picnic Memorial Park, Hungary
- Museo Casa Alcide De Gasperi, Italy
- Kaunas of 1919-1940, Lithuania
- Union of Lublin, Poland
- The May 3, 1791 Constitution, Poland
- The historic Gdańsk Shipyard, Poland
- General Library of the University of Coimbra, Portugal
- Charter of Law of Abolition of the Death Penalty , Portugal
- Franja Partisan Hospital, Slovenia
The criteria for selection take into account both a site's importance in European history and the activities planned at the site to commemorate its Europe-wide signifcance.
Once the sites have received the label, they will be promoted by the European Union as European heritage sites – helping them gain visibility across countries.