European Heritage Awards
Rewarding success and excellence in the field of cultural heritage
Photo: Europa Nostra
What is it?
The European Heritage Awards / Europa Nostra Awards highlight some Europe's best achievements in heritage care, and showcase remarkable efforts made in raising awareness about our cultural heritage.
Exemplary heritage achievements across Europe are awarded prizes in four main categories:
- Conservation projects
- Dedicated service to heritage conservation
- Education, training, and awareness raising within Europe's cultural heritage sector
The prize consists of two award levels; a Grand Prix of €10,000 (awarded to up to seven entries), and an award, presented to up to 30 entries. There is also a Public Choice Award winner, chosen by online poll conducted by Europa Nostra.
What is it for?
The aim of the initiative is to promote and reward success and altruism in the field of cultural heritage. It serves to:
- Raise awareness of the issues facing the sector
- Recognise achievements in service to protecting European cultural heritage
- Encourage a greater appreciation of European culture heritage
The Heritage Prize's greatest impact, according to a 2013 study, is to highlight examples of successes in the sector and raise awareness of best practices across Europe.