- A completed second-cycle study programme; or
- a completed former study programme leading to an academic higher education qualification (adopted before 11 June 2004); or
- a completed former specialisation programme, if before this candidates have completed a professional higher education programme; prior to enrolment, such candidates must complete course units totalling 33 credits from the second-cycle Theology programme or course units totalling 30 credits from the second-cycle Marriage and Family Studies programme; or
- a completed study programme leading to a pre-Bologna research master's degree or specialisation following completion of a study programme leading to an academic higher education qualification; at least 60 credits are recognised for candidates in the third-cycle doctoral programme; or
- a completed integrated master's programme leading to professions regulated by EU directives, consisting of 300 credits.
Examination performance is graded as follows: 10 (excellent); 9 (very good: above-average knowledge but with some mistakes); 8 (very good: solid results); 7 (good); 6 (adequate: knowledge satisfies minimum criteria); 5–1 (inadequate). In order to pass an examination, a candidate must achieve a grade between adequate (6) and excellent (10).
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Theology
In order to complete the programme, students must complete all course units prescribed by the programme (both taught units and individual study/research), and successfully defend a doctoral dissertation. Further to a decision of the Senate of the University of Ljubljana at its 28th Session on 10 May 2005, the publication of at least one research paper is also a condition for completion of the programme, whereby students complete all programme requirements for a total of 180 credits.