• EQF Home Page Icon

Moving to a country to study

Moving to a country to study

Please select a country to see the relevant information

General information

General Information

Specific residence permits for students

Student associations

Finding accommodation


Health care for students

Cost of living

Legal framework for working as a student

Specific language courses

Studying with a disability

Country specific Resources

The education system in Croatia includes different levels: preschool education; primary education; secondary education; higher education and adult education. 

Preschool education for children aged six months until the beginning of primary school. 

Primary education begins with enrolment in the first grade of primary school; it is compulsory for all children and normally lasts from seven until fifteen years of age. A system of primary adult education is established for persons over the age of fifteen who have not completed primary education. 

Secondary education in Croatia takes place in gymnasiums, vocational, and art school programmes. Students enrol via an electronic enrolment system based on achievements in primary schools, as well as personal abilities and preferences. After completing five-year and four-year programmes, it is possible to take a state graduation exam and enrol in higher education institutions. 

Higher education in Croatia includes university and professional studies. University studies include three levels (undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate) and train students to develop and apply scientific and technical achievements. Professional studies train students for professional occupations and prepare them for immediate employment. They include short professional studies and professional bachelor studies on the first level and specialist professional graduate studies on the second level. 

Adult education in Croatia has a long tradition of institutional activities through a network of public open universities - public adult education institutions - and covers all forms of education of persons over the age of 15, helping them to acquire qualifications required for the first occupation, retraining, professional development, improvement of knowledge and skills, including active citizenship training. 

Category:Moving to a country

Croatian education system is centrally managed by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports (MSES). Besides MSES, other national public bodies involved in the regulation, development and quality control of the educational sector in Croatia are Education and Teacher Training Agency, Agency for Vocational Education and Training, Agency for Science and Higher Education, Agency for Mobility and EU Programmes and National Center for External Evaluation of Education.

Category:Moving to a country

EURES pomaže radnicima prijeći granice

EURES – Europska služba za zapošljavanje suradnička je mreža osnovana kako bi se olakšalo slobodno kretanje radnika unutar Europskog gospodarskog prostora, a uključena je i Švicarska. Partneri u mreži javne su službe za zapošljavanje, sindikati i udruženja poslodavaca. Mrežom koordinira Europska komisija.

Category:Moving to a country

Category:Moving to a country

Tuition fees for study programmes in Croatia are determined by each higher education institution. The level of tuition fees depends on the type of study programme and its duration. It is therefore important that prospective students directly contact the higher education institution they are interested in for precise information about tuition fees.

The range of tuition fees for international undergraduate students varies depending on the higher education institution and field of study. Tuition fees for undergraduate degree programmes in the humanities and social sciences can range from 6,000 Kuna (approximately 800 EUR) to 16,500 Kuna (approximately 2,200 EUR) per year, tuition fees for technical sciences are approximately 22,000 Kuna (approximately 3,000 EUR) per year and tuition fees for sciences and medical study are around 27,000 Kuna per year (approximately 3,600 EUR).

Tuition fees for graduate and postgraduate programmes should be obtained by request directly from higher education institutions since they vary significantly.

Category:Moving to a country

Category:Moving to a country

Foreign nationals intending to study in Croatia must regulate their temporary residence for the purpose of studying if their stay in Croatia is longer than 90 days. 

Visa requirements: 

Nationals of countries subject to the visa requirement also need to procure an entry visa for Croatia (Viza C). Information on countries subject to the visa requirement can be found on the web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. The visa application (Viza C) must be submitted to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country. The visa application can be submitted either in person or via e-mail. 

Where to submit residence permit application: 

International students can submit residence permit application in one of two ways:

  • To the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country

  • To the appropriate police department or police station immediately upon entering Croatia if they submit the proof of taking part in an exchange programme approved by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports in Croatia (Erasmus, Erasmus Mundus, CEEPUS, bilateral exchange, etc.). For more information about this document, the student should contact International Relations Office of the host university.

When to submit residence permit application: 

Students submitting an application to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in their home country should do so prior to their scheduled arrival in Croatia. The usual procedure can take three months or longer (including time needed for all the necessary documents to be translated into Croatian). There is also a fast-track option for handling the application and students can request this at the diplomatic mission or consulate, in which case they pay a higher fee. 

Students submitting the application to the appropriate police department or police station in Croatia should do so immediately upon entering Croatia. 

Application documents:

The following documents must be submitted with the application for temporary residence for the purpose of studying:

  • One colour photograph 35x45 mm

  • Valid passport and photocopy of a passport (ERASMUS students excepted)

  • Proof of secured housing (e.g. written proof of secured accommodation in the student dormitory or an apartment lease and proof of the landlord’s apartment ownership for students in private accommodation).

  • Proof of health insurance (bilingual document) coming from a home country that has a bilateral agreement on social and health security with Croatia. Nationals of countries that do not have aforementioned agreement with Croatia have to report to the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO - Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje) to establish their right to health insurance under Croatian health insurance regulations.

  • Proof of finances: a scholarship or proof of having access to finances in the amount of at least 1,000 Kuna per month during 12 months. The proof of receiving a scholarship is issued by the legal entity granting the scholarship and the proof of finances is issued by a bank in the form of a bank statement

  • Certificate of impunity issued in the country of origin or permanent residence by an appropriate institution, issued in the last six months (ERASMUS students excepted)

  • Proof of admittance to a higher education institution in Croatia written in the Croatian language.

Application fee: 

The application fee for the first temporary residence permit for the purpose of studying is 520 Kuna (around 70 EUR). International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports are exempted from this fee. 

Duration of residence permit: 

The temporary residence permit is usually granted for the duration of one year or for the duration of the academic year. Temporary residence authorisation is entered into the passport in the form of an adhesive label.

Category:Moving to a country