Objective(s) of a study programme:
To prepare pre-primary and early childhood educators who will observe child development rules and characteristics in order to get acquainted with children, their individual needs and abilities, as well as assure thorough and optimal development of children, from babies to 7 year olds, and their quality education.
1. Will know the bases of pre-primary education, benchmarks of education policy. Will combine various aspects of pre-primary education (philosophical, pedagogical, psychological, sociological, intercultural and management). Will examine attributes of concord between early childhood, pre-primary and primary education.
2. Will describe the developmental aspects of children (babies to 7 year olds), ways of recognising their needs, the specifics of the educational process and its management, the importance of reflection and its strategies, factors that determine the quality of education. Will be able to apply their knowledge in various environments.
3. Will reflect on the educational content, will be able to observe pedagogical problems in education practices, solve these problems through research and use the results in order to improve professional activities; will discover and apply innovative methodologies, able to make decisions based on evidence.
4. Will write professional texts using contemporary methods of collecting, analysing, systemising and visualising information.
5. Will respect the child’s individuality. Will recognise and consider children’s (from babies to 7 year olds) differences (age, experience, gender, language, social environment, abilities, special educational needs, cognition styles and other), help them overcome challenges in the educational process, give referrals to parents (guardians) for consultations and provide pedagogical help, cooperate with educational help specialists.
6. Will foresee and realize child-oriented education goals and tasks, will plan and evaluate children’s achievements, apply methods of learning through games, activities, experiences, will independently create, shape, improve the integral educational content. Will seek and assure parents’ active involvement when predicting and evaluating children’s progress, creating the educational content, organising education. Will create an open, tolerant, dialogue and partnership based educational environment.
7. Will be able to create an environment for the children (babies to 7 year olds) that is suitable for the education of the individual child and the whole group, encourages thorough development in children, is safe, emotional and physically active; prepare, constructively and creatively use educational material that encourages the children’s activity, self-expression, thinking; plan supplies. Will use the possibilities of education in different environments.
8. Will be able to participate in creating pre-primary education programmes, will analyse, interpret and adapt according to the context of education, children’s needs (babies to 7 year olds), and education regulation documents.
9. Will observe the principles of partnership and constructively cooperate with other members of the education process and specialists, work in groups and/or teams, participate in projects, professional networks, processes of educational and social change.
10. Will be able to fluently communicate using the national language in written and oral; clearly and reasonably present an opinion, idea, and solution. Will be able to use a foreign language for academic and professional purposes.
11. Will follow humanist, democratic and national values, convictions of social civic responsibility and professional ethics.
12. Will be able to reflect on their work, identify and solve professional problems, select appropriate learning strategies, anticipate prospects for professional improvement.
Distinctive features of a study programme:
Our goal is to prepare pedagogues who are able to carry out inclusive education (encompassing the inclusion of children distinguishable based on aspects such as gender, age, language, social and ethnic origin, abilities, special educational needs, cognitive styles and other).
Students may choose alternative pedagogical specialisation subjects: second language teaching methods and sign language for children.