Objective(s) of a study programme:
To prepare specialists who are able to analyze different cultures and societies, define their development and peculiarities, identify intercultural conflicts and social problems, evaluate their character and make recommendations for solving problems, develop intercultural communication.
- Analyze and apply contemporary sociological and anthropological theories in the studies of societies and cultures.
- Observe, analyze and evaluate critically contemporary cultures and societies, arising conflicts and social problems.
- Analyze different cultures and social problems on the national and global levels.
- Understand principles of social sciences methodology and their empirical application.
- Design sociological and anthropological research, collect, analyze and interpret empirical data applying quantitative and qualitative social sciences methods.
- Apply different social information analysis approaches, statistical analysis programmes and tools.
- Use secondary data sources (statistical information, research data, etc.).
- Know and apply main principles of research, follow principles of scientific argumentation and objectivity.
- Evaluate and interpret cultural and societal phenomena without any prejudice.
- Creatively apply acquired theoretical and practical knowledge to construct social research questions and search for optimal ways to solve practical social problems.
Activities of teaching and learning:
Student oriented teachers work, indepedent student’s work, work in groups, methods based on scientific research and problem solving.
Methods of assessment of learning achievements:
Written exam, oral presentation, practice, case study analysis.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
- Classical and contemporary theories of sociology and social anthropology (18 ECTS);
- Quantitative and qualitative social research methods, statistical analysis (30 ECTS);
- Demography, Cultural Diversity and Intercultural Communication, Sociology of Deviant Behavior, Gender, Family, Health, Politics, Migration, Economics and Religion, Ethnicity and Nationalism, Social Change, Social Inequality and Exclusion, Culture and Society of Media, Visual Culture (104 ECTS);
- Term Paper and Final Thesis (18 ECTS).
During the studies students carry out two specialized practices within 7 and 8 semesters. They consist of 16 ECTS. The aim of the practices is to obtain professional skills and experience, and to apply academic knowledge in practice (business enterprises and other organizations). Practices are associated with the term paper and the preparation of the final thesis. The practice activities involve project management, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, data presentation as well as organizing and carrying out various sociological research for organizational benefit.
- Possibility to choose additional common courses (56 ECTS);
- Possibility to obtain double degree (60 ECTS);
Distinctive features of a study programme:
Possibility to ontain double degree.