The Directorate is an administrative institution in the field of education and its main objective is to improve quality and support progress in education in accordance with law and government policies, best evidence and international standards.
Goals - knowledge, understanding and skills
On completion of study students shall:
Knowledge and understanding
- Possess a general understanding of theories, criteria, concepts and methods of the various disciplines in the field of preschool studies.
- Be able to apply knowledge and understanding to theoretical practice within preschool studies, and have developed competences to sustain theoretical and practical solutions in the subject.
- Understand professionalism, equality, creativity and democracy in preschools.
- Have achieved knowledge and understanding of preschool ideology, pedagogy and history, with cultural and educational role that preschools play in the life of young children.
- Have achieved knowledge of the primary trends shaping contemporary preschools.
- Be able to reflect on their own ideas and perspectives, thereby viewing and shaping a professional ideal of pedagogy and work ethic.
- Understand the role and work of the preschool teacher, and be aware of those components, which shape the profession.
Type of knowledge
- Have adopted extensive theoretical knowledge on different methods helping children to develop and strengthen communication and play skills and be able to evaluate their play competences as well as the given play situations in preschools.
- Have acquired knowledge of young children’s attachments and communications skills in their interaction in peer groups and with adults.
- Know assessment technique and methods to evaluate play skills and situations from different perspectives.
- Have acquired knowledge of basic components of language and literacy development in preschool children and beginners.
- Have gained knowledge of primary school along with theoretical knowledge of how culture, (gender, ethnic, religion etc.) affect learning outcomes.
- Have gained knowledge of the preschools role in a democratic society together with theories of educational institutions’ role in western societies.
- Have gained knowledge of the importance of health and lifestyles and interaction between nutrition and health for preschool children.
- Have gained knowledge of special topics i.e. natural science, social science and art.
- Be able to analyse practical, complex subjects in a professional context and be able to rationalise decisions.
- Possess autonomous decisions and manage subjects in a specialised field of preschools, i.e. setting goals, devise a work schedule and use observations and records to get closer to the existence and perspective of preschool children.
- Be capable of organising studies and the study environment of preschool children in accordance with the national curriculum and knowledge of children's studies.
- Be able to lead and manage activities, in preschools, in a context of multiculturalism, gender ethnicity and religion.
- Be able to apply scientific and critical methods in analysing subjects and activities in preschools.
- Possess understanding and insight into main theories in early childhood education and evaluate the methods used in an autonomous manner.
- Be able to actively participate, reason and discuss preschool education and learning styles in a theoretical manner.
- Be able to share professional ideas and knowledge and manage working teams.
- Be capable of interpreting and presenting concepts and compare research findings on miscellaneous subjects
- Have developed necessary and autonomous learning skills that enables new and further studies.
- Have adopted broad-mindedness along with originality of thought that come in handy for both study and occupation.
- Be able to assess ideas with a critical mind, both their own and those of others, whether written or verbal.
- Are able to treat references in the proper manner, both in terms of text citations and bibliographies.
- Can read Icelandic and international scholarly literature with critical mind and introduce it’s content in spoken and written language.
- Have competence to interpret and analyse authors’ perspective or premises in scholarly texts.
Preschool Teacher Education