The National Qualifications Registry of Greece is a special software application (Database) that will include the qualifications classified in the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and referenced to the European Qualifications Framework (EQF).
• Have sufficient specialist knowledge in the particular disciplines of Management of natural and man-made disasters, European Policies, Planning and Development of Space and Geoinformatics.
• Have a comprehensive understanding of the principles, theories, methodologies and practices of the Science of Geography and its interface with other disciplines, such as Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Information Technology and Area Planning.
• Have the scientific bases for developing initiatives or interventions in the thematic areas of (a) Management of natural, technological and climate change risks, (b) Development and Management of Space in Europe, (c) the use of Geoinformatics technology for the analysis/solution of space problems.
• Have the necessary scientific background for the promotion of innovation, both at research and professional level.
• Implement easily, and with knowledge of the restrictions, theories and methodologies of the Science of Geography both in research and in scientific / professional tasks.
• Build upon knowledge acquired on the design and implementation of interventions in space.
• Document their scientific viewpoint utilising theories, methodologies and practices with which they are familiar in the context of their studies, as well as using arguments and critical approach.
• Weigh, evaluate and interpret new developments in the thematic areas of specialization within the broad field of the science of Geography and related sciences.
• Promote and seek to solve problems they consider in a scientifically documented manner, in the context of interdisciplinarity and validity, taking into account the specificities of places and the socio-economic, cultural and historical-political context.
• Further develop and evolve their knowledge and skills, constantly adopting new technologies and adapting their knowledge in the ever changing environment which they are asked to face.
• Plan and apply the specialized knowledge and skills acquired by conducting and publishing research and enriching their choices and actions in their employment area.
• Seek to solve problems associated with the design and implementation of interventions in space.
• Make decisions in the field of management and initiative to implement interventions.
• Undertake an advisory role to support public and private bodies and social and environmental movements in drawing up the agenda of both public policies and social demands.
• Translate new theoretical knowledge into innovative practices in their professional and research area and feedback theory with the results of empirical control.
• Have a critical understanding of the constantly evolving cutting-edge issues related to the Science of Geography and those sciences with which it converses theoretically and methodologically.
• Cooperate and discuss with various disciplines in an interdisciplinary and multi-scientific environment, contributing with synthetic knowledge to the approach to natural and socio-economic issues as to their impacts in space.
MASTER’S DEGREE (METAPTYCHIAKO DIPLOMA EIDIKEFSIS)
The M.Sc. aims to create managers able to plan and manage geographic interventions at different scales in the urban and regional space, to train specialised scientists who will cover needs for management staff in public, social and private institutions, and to develop research and original knowledge production in various fields of Applied Geography and Space Management:
a) Management of natural and man-made disasters
b) European Policies, Space Planning and Development
The Programme provides the opportunity for full and part-time graduate studies.
Eleftheriou Venizelou Street
Graduates of the Post-graduate Studies Programme can:
• Seek skilled work in Greece and Europe, in central government and in bodies of local government and Design, in Development companies, consulting firms and design firms in the private sector.
• Continue their studies and research drafting a PhD and post-doctoral thesis either through Harokopio or through another University in Greece or abroad.
• Be employed in research centres and institutes with a subject related to the scientific areas dealt with by the Post-graduate Studies Programme.
• Update their knowledge and become familiar with the scientific advances and social and political developments; concerns those of the postgraduate students already working for the central government or the local authorities.
• Join research teams to engage in Department or, more generally, in University research.
Access to this type of qualification have those who hold a Bachelor Degree (level 6). The selection of graduate students is mainly based on the following criteria: the overall grade of the Bachelor Degree, the grades in undergraduate courses that are relevant with the subjects of the Master’s program, the performance in thesis, where is foreseen at the undergraduate level and any research activity of the candidate. The detailed application of the above mentioned criteria, the definition of additional criteria or the conducting of examinations and interviews, the results of which are taken into account in the selection, are determined by decision of the relevant Department.
Holders of such qualifications gain access to study programmes at the same level or at level 8.
Qualifications of this type are acquired via formal education.