Latvian qualifications database (...more
The goal of the master’s degree programme in communication studies at the University of Latvia is to train highly qualified specialists in the field of communication studies and practical aspects thereof – journalism, public relations, advertising, communication management, as well as study of communication processes. Students have a chance to gain in-depth knowledge about theories and methodologies in communication, also developing skills and competences related to communication-related research projects and methods, as well as skills related to analytical and critical thinking and creativity.
The result of the programme is that highly qualified master’s-level specialists are trained – people who can successfully compete in the Latvian and European labour market and have intellectual potential which ensures the qualitative development of the media, public relations, advertising and other industries, also improving the effectiveness of state and local government operations, facilitating the development of the field of communication studies, and improving the quality of life of Latvia’s residents. The results of the programme can be compared to the 7th level of the European qualifications framework.
Master’s degree recipients have:
- deeper and more extensive knowledge about communication studies, the social sciences and academic work so as to create a foundation for critical thinking and creativity, as well as the ability to work in various related areas;
- deeper and more extensive knowledge in one of the areas of studies – business communication, communication studies, the communication of organisations, political communication, and journalism;
- deeper and more extensive knowledge about the methodology and academic ethics of communication studies and the social sciences when it comes to research projects.
The ability to put knowledge to use:
- establishing critical understanding of communication and/or their various areas in terms of processes and practices;
- identifying innovations in the area of communication;
- continuing studies at the doctoral level;
- establishing a highly qualified career as a specialist, expert and/or leader in national government, business, NGOs, the media, and scientific institutions;
- conducting scholarly and/or specifically professional activities which are based on original ideas and research;
- engaging in professional work in line with the codes of ethics and professional standards of professional organisations in the area of journalism, public relations and advertising, as well as those of the Latvian Science Council.
- making ongoing use of theories, methods and problem resolution skills in the field of communication studies and other social sciences so as to engage in research work and/or to engage in highly qualified professional functions;
- offering well argued explanations and discussions about complicated and systemic issues related to the field of communication studies and the relevant professional areas, dealing both with specialists and diverse audiences;
- being able to develop competences in the field of communication in an independent way, focusing on the relevant area of specialisation, taking responsibility for the work results and analysis of personnel groups, engaging in business operations, ensuring innovations in the field of communication, conducting research, continuing studies, and developing new theoretical and practical approaches.
- independent formulation and critical analysis of complicated scientific and professional issues in the area of communication, justifying decisions that are made and engaging in additional analysis;
- integration of knowledge from the fields of communication studies and other areas, thus making an investment in the creation of new knowledge and the development of research and professional methods;
- acceptance of ethical responsibility for scientific and/or professional activities (including ones which are conducted under unforeseeable or complicated circumstances) which can have an effect on society and the environment.
- University of Latvia
RAIŅA BULVĀRIS 19, RĪGA, LV-1586
Higher education qualification of LQF level 6 (academic or professional bachelor) in the same or compatible branch of science or professional field laid down by higher education Institution
Formal (through education programmes)