The National Qualifications Registry of Greece is a special software application (Database) that will include the qualifications classified in the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and referenced to the European Qualifications Framework (EQF).
The graduates of the department:
- Understand the basic principles and concepts of Oceanography.
- Know the physical, chemical, biological, and geological processes of the coastal zone.
- Understand the basic principles and concepts of fishing biology and managing the reserves of the marine biological resources.
- Have basic knowledge about the structure and operation of coastal ecosystems.
- Understand the interaction between the man and the coastal environment and the sea resources.
- Know the biodiversity of the Mediterranean, the Ecosystems of Community interest and Priority in the coastal environment, along with the endangered species.
- Identify the various forms of pollution, its sources, and routes of dispersal.
- Know methods for identifying, taking precautions and treating with coastal geological hazards.
- Have knowledge about environmental economics and environmental law with regard to the marine and coastal zone.
- Combine the protection of biodiversity with sustainable development (e.g. diving tourism, fishing tourism) in the coastal environment with emphasis to island areas.
- Apply integrated techniques for the approach and understanding of the processes of the coastal marine environment and the interactions between the land and sea area, with emphasis on the impacts of climate change.
- Combine an integrated perception of marine and coastal environmental processes with an understanding of their socioeconomic impacts.
- Apply methods and techniques for the ecological monitoring and analysis of ecological and fishing data, while analysing the scientific results using statistical and computational tools.
- Operate and programme computers in order to solve scientific problems.
- Apply and develop modern techniques, such as Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems, for the study of the coastal zone.
- Identify, record and analyse the impact of anthropogenic activities and sea pollution to the coastal environment.
- Design and apply with safety field and laboratory techniques, using the respective scientific instruments.
- Design and organize studies for the collection of oceanographic, ecological or fishing data.
- Conduct scientific literature search.
- Use methods for processing data, of environmental design, and multicriteria methodologies as tools for assessing and taking decisions.
- Combine the above knowledge for the resolution of problems affecting the coastal environment and improve the management of marine resources.
- Combing the cognitive background regarding the function of the coastal ecosystem with the information of socioeconomic framework for the preparation or improvement of management plans for coastal areas.
- Have the competence of drafting / supervising / reviewing studies of environmental impacts and of contributing to the sustainable management of marine and coastal resources.
- Decisively contribute to the integrated design of the management of the coastal area, to the effective design of models and to the application and development of modern methods and techniques (marine spatial planning, marine protected areas), for the protection and sustainable development of the coastal zone.
- Have the competences that allow them to contribute to application works belonging to the Habitats Directive, 92/43/EEC, to the Directive - Framework for the EU for Waters of 2000, to the Directive - Framework on Marine Strategy, and to the EU Directive on Marine Spatial Planning.
MASTER’S DEGREE (METAPTYCHIAKO DIPLOMA EIDIKEFSIS)
The purpose of the Postgraduate Studies Programme of the Department of Marine Sciences, which has been structured and applies internationally accredited standards, followed in respective programmes abroad, as per the Government Gazette entry for its Establishment, is the education / training of new scientists on subjects of Integrated Coastal Zone Management. Specifically, the Postgraduate Studies Programme of the Department aims to the postgraduate specialisation of scientists on the interdisciplinary study and integrated management of the marine environment, with emphasis on the understanding of ecological and natural processes, the protection of the ecosystems and the rational management of their resources, as well as of sustainable development. The specialisation of scientists on the specific subject is of paramount importance, since Greece and the Mediterranean in general are characterised by coastal areas, where numerous and frequently opposing activities have been developed (e.g. industry, commerce, residential development, tourism / recreation). In addition, the specialized scientific personnel created by the Postgraduate Studies Programme contributes to the cover of requirements / needs for specialised executives for the Public and Private Bodies and Businesses in Greece and abroad.
The final purpose of Postgraduate Studies Programme "INTEGRATED COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT" of the Department of Marine Sciences is the following:
1. Contribution to the creation of quality executives and human resources regarding issues of integrated management of the coastal zone.
2. Promotion of derivatives of the basic and applied research for the marine environment and sustainable development.
3. Dissemination of scientific knowledge to social groups and institutionalized organisations engaged with environmental issues of the coastal and marine ecosystems.
The Postgraduate Studies Programme formulated through the modern understanding of studies based on international experience for the integrated management of the coastal zone is characterised by interdisciplinary approach and aims to the scientific training and specialisation of postgraduate students through the provision of course / tutoring / laboratories / field exercises to students, with the following subjects:
- study of natural, chemical, biological, and geological processes of the marine environment with emphasis on the coastal environment;
- management of marine resources, e.g. fishing, aquacultures, energy resources;
- identification, monitoring, and management of pollution incidents;
- application of modern techniques, such as Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems, as tools for the study of the coastal zone;
- systematic monitoring and control of the impacts of anthropogenic activities to the coastal environment;
- development of integrated techniques for the approach and understanding of the interactions between the land and marine area, with emphasis on the understanding and treatment of the effects of climate change.
In addition, postgraduate students are educated on the following:
- use of processing methods for environmental data and in multicriteria methodologies used as tools for assessing and deciding about the coastal zone;
- integrated design of the management of the coastal site and of the drainage basins, through the use of models and the application and development of modern methods and techniques;
- use of modern methodologies of Operational Oceanography and Hydroacoustic technology;
- preparation of infrastructure studies for subsea facilities and coastal structures.
University of the Aegean
Λόφος Πανεπιστημίου 81100 Μυτιλήνη, Τηλ:2251036000 Φαξ:2251036009 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Holders of qualifications that belong to this type may work either as self-employed or in positions of responsibility in companies and organizations in the private or in the public sector.
Access to this type of qualification have those who hold a Bachelor Degree (level 6). The selection of graduate students is mainly based on the following criteria: the overall grade of the Bachelor Degree, the grades in undergraduate courses that are relevant with the subjects of the Master’s program, the performance in thesis, where is foreseen at the undergraduate level and any research activity of the candidate. The detailed application of the above mentioned criteria, the definition of additional criteria or the conducting of examinations and interviews, the results of which are taken into account in the selection, are determined by decision of the relevant Department.
Holders of such qualifications gain access to study programmes at the same level or at level 8.
Qualifications of this type are acquired via formal education.