At the end of the programme students should be able to apply their knowledge and abilities in:
- discussing key concepts, research results and theories within the field of language development and literacy that underlie applied work within the school context;
- assessing teaching methods, curriculum and whole class literacy achievement;
- assessing the progress of individual children and the need for specific interventions;
- enhancing the language and literacy skills of second language learners and enhance their long-term learning prospects;
- policymaking and goal setting regarding approaches to literacy teaching and standards for learning achievement;
- research within the field of language development and literacy learning.