The Directorate is an administrative institution in the field of education and its main objective is to improve quality and support progress in education in accordance with law and government policies, best evidence and international standards.
At the end of the program students are expected to
- Have an insight into education, life and work in different societies and be acquainted with different cultures and religions.
- Have developed knowledge in multicultural studies and international relations, and issues related to education, globalisation, sustainable development and development studies (see specialisations).
- Have knowledge in the areas of democracy and human rights.
- Have gained a fairly broad international and multicultural view of education studies and the work of educators in preschools, basic schools, and other educational settings.
- Students, who select a language specialisation, will be capable to teach language classes in traditional Icelandic schools as well as in international schools in Iceland and abroad.