Latvian qualifications database (...more
To study basics of life sciences necessary for mastering the content of pharmacy studies;
- to acquire adequate knowledge of medicines and substances used in pharmaceutical industry, regulatory requirements associated with the practice of pharmacy and pharmaceutical research;
- to master skills of applying theoretical knowledge and research methods to provide pharmaceutical care;
- to work out and defend the Bachelor thesis for the total amount of 10 credit points.
The Bachelor thesis is a research work in the area of pharmacy or a related subject encompassing results of individual research of a student, analysis of results and drawing conclusions.
The programme aims to provide theoretical knowledge and application of a set of basic and pharmaceutical science techniques appropriate at the level of bachelor degree and to equip the students with the necessary skills to continue their pharmacy education for the master degree programme.
The tasks of the programme are the following:
- to provide adequate knowledge of medicines and medicinal substances used in pharmaceutical manufacturing, of good manufacturing practice, and of synthetic and natural substances;
- to provide adequate knowledge of pharmaceutical technologies and physical, chemical, biological, and microbiological properties of drugs, as well as of drug quality control techniques;
- to develop independent research skills in students, with the emphasis on science-based approach to the health care system, principles and means of provision of pharmaceutical care, and correct storage of medicines;
- to provide adequate knowledge on the metabolism of drugs, pharmacological activity, pharmacovigilance, pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenetics, and toxicology;
- to provide adequate knowledge on pharmaceutical disciplines, focusing attention to advances in evidence-based knowledge in pharmaceutical technology, pharmaceutical chemistry, harmacognosy, pharmacology, and good pharmacy practice;
- to acquaint students with the latest research methods, as well as national programmes in pharmacy, integration within the EU, and globally accepted guidelines for pharmaceutical education, which the common labour market of the EU countries is based on;
- to train students for independent scientific research activities and encourage them to continue their education in master of pharmacy study programmes;
- to train students for work in international and interprofessional teams;
- to provide sufficient knowledge on the requirements in legislation associated with the practice of pharmacy.
Thoroughly educated students receiving health sciences bachelor degree in pharmacy.
The graduates should have reached the levels of knowledge, skills, and competence defined in the EQF bachelor descriptors.
Able to demonstrante pharmacy-specific basic and specialised knowledge and critical analysis of knowledge.
Able to understand the key concepts and regularities of the field of pharmacy and pharmaceutical professions.
Thorough knowledge and critical analysis of the subject and discipline.
Thorough knowledge in their area of training enabling the students to enter master training.
Capable of using the theoretical knowledge and skills in a professional, innovative or exploratory context, formulating and analysing the information, identifying problems and finding solutions.
Capable of debate with both professionals and laymen.
Able to plan studying, further learning and professional development according to their individual needs,
- take a scientific approach to problem-solving,
- take responsibility and show initiative in individual or teamwork or as managers of the work of others,
- make decisions and find creative solutions in changing situations.
Able to obtain, select, use and analyse information independently,
- make decisions regarding pharmacy and pharmaceutical professions, act in accordance with professional ethics,
- evaluate one’s professional impact on the environment and society.
Able to participate in the development of professional areas.
- University of Latvia
RAIŅA BULVĀRIS 19, RĪGA, LV-1586
Certificate of general secondary education or Diploma of vocational secondary education
Formal (through education programmes)