Candidates must successfully meet all requirements prescribed by the study programme and successfully defend their doctoral dissertation. Doctoral candidates must publish at least one research article in the field of their doctorate in a journal indexed by the SCI or SSCI. The doctoral candidate must be the lead author of the article. The research article must be published or accepted for publication before the oral defence of the doctoral dissertation.
Examination performance is graded as follows: 10 (excellent); 9 (very good: above-average knowledge but with some mistakes); 8 (very good: solid results); 7 (good); 6 (adequate: knowledge satisfies minimum criteria); 5–1 (inadequate). In order to pass an examination, a candidate must achieve a grade between adequate (6) and excellent (10).
University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Faculty of Medicine, Veterinary Faculty in cooperation with Jožef Štefan Institute, with the National Institute of Chemistry and with the National Institute of Biology
- Diploma in second-cycle study programmes in biomedicine, biotechnology and natural science and mathematics or
- diploma in study programmes leading to professions regulated by European Union directives (93/16/EEC for doctors, 78/1027/EEC for veterinarians, 78/687/EEC for dentists and 85/432/EEC for pharmacists) and which require at least 300 credits or
- diploma in study programmes leading to a specialisation with previous completion of a first-cycle professional higher education programme in biomedicine, biotechnology and natural science and mathematics. Additional study requirements for individual fields totalling 30 to 60 credits determined for candidates by the Biomedicine Programme Council or
- diploma in study programmes leading to a Master of Science or specialisation following the completion of study programmes leading to a university degree in biomedicine, biotechnology and natural sciences and mathematics. Study requirements totalling 60 credits are recognised for candidates; or
- diploma in study programmes leading to university degree in related disciplines in biomedicine, biotechnology and mathematical sciences.