Enrolment in the third-cycle doctoral study programme in Textile Materials is open to candidates who have completed:
- a second-cycle (Bologna) study programme;
- an integrated Bologna master's programme consisting of 300 credits in an engineering or natural science field;
- an academic higher education programme adopted before 11 June 2004 consisting of at least 240 ECTS credits;
- a professional higher education programme, adopted before 11 June 2004, and study programme leading to a specialisation; the following course units from the second-cycle programme in Design and Textile Materials, totalling 30 ECTS credits, are defined for such candidates and must be completed before enrolment: Analytical methods in textiles, Mechanical properties of textile materials, Surface properties of polymer materials, Methods of recycling textile materials, Nanomaterials – these course units must be completed by students whose doctoral dissertation is focused on the field of materials and technologies, while those students whose doctoral research will be connected with design must complete Colour metrics, Presentation techniques and virtual catalogues, Fashion design, Management of textile product development, Visual communication or Multifunctionality in design. Students choose the first or second group of five subjects, depending on the study discipline (materials and technologies or design) within which they wish to complete their doctoral studies.
- Admission requirements are also met by candidates who have completed an equivalent qualification in another country, subject to formal recognition in Slovenia. In the case of limited enrolment, the selection of candidates will be based on: average grades in previous studies (20%); bachelor's or master's thesis grade (30%); and a selection examination (50%). Candidates may substitute up to 30% of the selection examination with scholarly or specialist work completed before enrolment in the programme, as demonstrated by relevant publications in scholarly and specialist literature. Criteria for evaluating scholarly and specialist work are laid down by the FS Senate.
Students' knowledge is assessed by means of practical exercises and seminar papers, and also via products, projects, performances, services, etc. and by examinations. Examination performance is scored as follows: 10 (excellent); 9 (very good: above-average knowledge but with some mistakes); 8 (very good: solid results); 7 (good); 6 (adequate: knowledge satisfies minimum criteria); 5–1 (inadequate). In order to pass an examination, a candidate must achieve a grade between adequate (6) and excellent (10).
In order to complete the third-cycle Textile Materials programme, students must complete all course units, for a total of 180 ECTS credits (pass all examinations prescribed by the third-cycle Textile Materials programme, complete research work and write and successfully defend a doctoral dissertation). Doctoral candidates must also have an article on a subject from the field of the doctorate accepted for publication by a journal indexed by the SCI or SSCI, with an indication of the impact factor. Public presentation of the doctoral thesis before a dissertation commission.
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maribor