Doctoral studies at the Oulu Mining School of the Oulu University of Oulu focuses on Geosciences and Mining Engineering and Mineral Processing. The aim of the doctoral degree program is to provide doctoral researchers the capability to work successfully in academic environment and also perform expert duties relevant to society and industry in Finland and abroad. Doctoral students get deep knowledge in their specific fields and also obtain a broad view of the Earth's geological processes and a general view of the mining industry activities and problems. The general goal of doctoral studies is to adopt scientific thinking and good scientific practice, to obtain a wide range of skills and to network with researchers and industry representatives.
Main subject is selected when applying for the right for the doctoral study at the University of Oulu. They can be 1) Earth Sciences, specializations is the Geology and Mineralogy (including Economic geology) and Quaternary Geology and 2) Mining Engineering and mineral processing, special areas are Mining Technology and Mineral Processing and Geophysics. Most doctoral students are involved into research projects carried out at the OMS. The employment opportunities for graduates specialising in mining are good.
OMS doctoral degree education is based on higher degree or an equivalent level of education in geosciences, mining and mineral processing technology or geophysics. Any person with correspondent degree may be accepted to the OMS doctoral program.
Additional information: http://www.oulu.fi/oms
--- ECTS credits
PL 8000, 90014, OULUN YLIOPISTO
University of Oulu, Graduate School (UniOGS)
After completion of a doctor's degree at OMS the student has the following skills:
• the graduate is able to identify new research opportunities
• the graduate is able to combine previous knowledge and create new knowledge in accordance with good scientific practice
• the graduate is able to specialize in own research field and apply specific discipline concepts, theories and research methods
• the graduate is able to apply and develop new ideas, theories and approaches in the own field of research and work in demanding research environments
• the graduate is able to solve complex problems in research and innovation in own field of research
• the graduate is able to make independent and reliable scientific research
• the graduate is able to present results of own research to scientific community and to make interpretation of the results
• the graduate is able to network with scientific community actors and with industry
• the graduate is able to work independently and creatively in demanding expert positions
• the graduate is able to manage projects
• the graduate is able to communicate with the scientific community and with the general public concerning own research field and general scientific issues, both verbally and in written.
• the graduate is able to communicate with international scientific community at least in one foreign language and with the domestic scientific community in one official language
• the graduate is able to develop a constant learning