Latvian qualifications database (...more
The goal, tasks and results of the Study Programme have been defined in consent with the development strategy of the University of Latvia as well as directions in the development of medical education in Europe.
Studies in the programme is a logical continuation for those who have received the medical doctor’s degree as well as for those who have received the medical doctor’s degree in other higher educational establishments if only their education is acknowledged correspondingly the legislation rules of the Republic of Latvia.
The goal of the Programme:
- to provide education for medical specialists that complies with requirements contained in the Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications as well as the Law of the Republic of Latvia “On Regulated Professions and the Recognition of Professional Qualifications”.
The aim of the Residentiary Programme „Medicine” is to provide the obtaining to practical and theoretical skills and improving them in order to prepare the doctors for certification in their basic speciality, subspecialty or additional speciality correspondingly the normative acts of the Latvian Republic.
Tasks of the Study Programme:
1) To acquire knowledge about health and its promotion as well as diseases, their prevention and care in the individual’s, family and community context;
2) To promote the obtaining of the theoretical and practical skills of the future doctor specialist in the ethology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, prophylaxis and curing treatment, at the same time profoundly acquiring complicated and seldom met pathologies;
3) To master modern technologies, diagnostics, medical treatment and prevention;
4) To achieve the level of research skills that allow continuing studies in Doctoral studies;
5) To improve practical skills in patients examination and treatment as an out-patient and highly specialized hospitals;
6) To prepare future medical doctors for participation in professional life-long learning.
7) To promote the individual creative development of work capacity of residents in output of innovative solutions in medicine in Latvia;
8) To promote the international connection possibilities in residents education;
9) Promote acquiring knowledge of ethics and deontology the medical profession, which is needed in the following activity of doctor’s profession.
The outcome of studies.
According the description of demands of the concluding Period the qualification of Latvian framework it corresponds level 7 EKI.
The outcome of studies is a competent, confident, caring, ethical and reflective practitioner who is employable and capable of providing safe care to patients elsewhere in Europe, ready of significant personal and professional achievements and capable of an analysing complex and volatile situations.
Knowledge and skills:
The resident has acquired extensive and profound knowledge in medicine in general, especially profound they are in the doctor’s speciality.
The knowledge corresponds the demands of the speciality, it is the base of the clinical practice, and the creative thinking is sufficiently l developed, in order to act successful in research.
Obtained knowledge provides successful activities in interdisciplinary level in medicine and close to it sciences – pharmacology, biology, and physics.
Ability to use knowledge.
The knowledge gained provides skills of solving independent problems.
Provides the necessary level of competence of professional work of highly qualified specialist in diagnosis of diseases, treatment, patient care, operative activities, performing various qualitative invasive manipulations.
The gained knowledge can be used acting in health care, research, education. Analyses, Synthesis, Evaluation.
Able independently formulate and critically analyse complicated clinical problems, the results obtained in medical research in adequate analyses of the situation, studying critically evaluate and if necessary make additional analyses Able to substantiate decisions.
In activity can integrate the areas of different spheres of medicine in output of using the gained experience, compiling it.Actively gets involved in the output.
Actively gets involved in output of new medical technologies, output of methods and introduction, takes part with his own contribution in creating new knowledge.
Obtained knowledge used in research in order to unite them with the experience of professional work function in the interests of patients and society.
Able to discuss with all medical specialists both about professional activities, scientific aspects, and complicated situations in medicine on the whole.
Opinion and explanation is provided not only to medical specialist but can adequately explain medical problems to any member of the society.
Maintain loyal relationship with colleagues, is able to integrate in the team work.
Obtained professional skills and competence in the speciality allows to take responsibility about the work done.
Able to perform both emergency help and successfully perform work in the speciality, patient and clinical practice.
Also can actively and successfully take part in business in medicine, organize team work.
Educating himself, can educate others.
Able to operate professionally and in complicated and extreme conditions, able to simulate the working environment, in order to carry out his work more successfully.
- University of Latvia
RAIŅA BULVĀRIS 19, RĪGA, LV-1586
Doctor phtisiopulmonologist (2212 43)
Higher education qualification of LQF level 6 (bachelor, professional bachelor or professional higher education qualification) in the same or compatible branch of science or professional field of higher education, as well as a certain professional experience laid down by higher education institution
Formal (through education programmes)