Objective(s) of a study programme:
To prepare the highly qualified, constantly learning, creative, competent teacher of chemistry and physics who has acquired the first stage of university education. The teacher will have the cultural, professional, general and specific professional competencies and will be able to make certain the quality of the educational process in the general education programs.
1. will form themselves the concept of natural science, will understand and will be able to show the laws of physics and chemistry, the interdisciplinary links of these sciences. They will understand the aspects of performing of virtual and real experiments, the diversity, conditions and mutual relations of experiments; The graduates will be able to relate and interpret the latest chemistry and physics knowledge about the technological development, potential threats to the environment and the quality of human life ; to interpret the usual and rare chemical and physical science phenomena revealing their interaction, the analysis methods of theoretical and experimental data processing, the use in practice, the recommendations of experts and the hypothetical results.
2. will be able to describe, critically evaluate and interpret the natural science education (learning) theories, concepts, models, their trends and possibilities of application in interdisciplinary studies and/or professional activities relevant to trends in education policy change in Lithuania, in Europe and in the World.
3. will have accumulated knowledge about the pedagogical, psychological phenomena, health and educational activities; will be able to educate creatively and professionally the students in formal and non-formal way as well as to develop pupils' subject-specific and general competences .
4. will be able to collect from different sources, analyze, critically evaluate and interpret the data required for solving of the relevant problems in chemistry and physics and in the professional teacher performance; will understand the methodology of quantitative and qualitative scientific research and will be able to carry out the research in pedagogy as well as in physics and chemistry; the graduates will be able to access, predict, discuss, propose solutions, to develop educational resources surveys and research reports based on the mathematical calculations and to draw the conclusions as well as to follow these conclusions in solving of the businesslike problems.
5. will be able to find, analyze, evaluate and apply the latest information about the achievements in chemistry, in physics and in other natural sciences, as well as to apply the information about the environment, the consumer culture, the healthy lifestyle, nanotechnology, GMOs, the personal responsibility of citizens in the context of sustainable development, the impact of technology on the environment considering the ecological and social factors; to implement the modern educational ideas and the phenomena assessment strategies and technology for the implementation of integral and objective innovations in science education.
6. will be able to realize creatively the science education programs, to prepare (self)education plans, to use different ways for understanding of learners, to take into account the students' innate potential and personal needs , to pose the measurable goals, to find the training (learning) results, to offer the proper methods for the evaluation of training (learning) and of achievement; to choose the modern didactic learning tools, to apply the digital resources , virtual learning objects and other ICT, to prepare an interesting and meaningful training (learning) material as well as to make sure a safe learning environment; to encourage students to study science and technology development.
7. will be able to communicate with professionals, individuals and society in mother and foreign language solving the problems of professional activity or of field of studies, representing the activities carried out and its results; to express the ideas consistently, imaginative and clearly; to interpret the facts in written and oral form; to work in team, taking responsibility for the quality of own work.
8. will be able to design own professional career, to acquire the professional motivation and the need to deepen their knowledge and skills in subject and in pedagogy, to give the self-expression and self-development directions for effectively integration themselves into the rapidly changing society; to understand the moral responsibility for their activities and the impact on the results of social, economical, cultural development, on the prosperity and on the environment.
Activities of teaching and learning:
Activities of teaching and learning in the Study Programme of Chemistry and Physics Teaching are based on learning outcomes and are oriented to student’s self-dependent learning as well as lifelong learning, introducing innovative methods of study organisation and activities, employing laboratory practice. The study process is implemented combining different forms of studies (contact and independent work). Students are provided with targeted and regular consultations. Studies are oriented to implementation of methodology for enhancement of communication and collaboration, independent practical activities, teamwork, critical and creative thinking.
Methods of assessment of learning achievements:
Interim evaluation and (written and oral) examinations, tests, course papers, presentation methods, practice reports, lab reports, overview of literature and other information sources, research work, final thesis.
Study subjects (modules), practical training:
1. Pedagogical study module.
General and Developmental Psychology, Health Education, Pedagogy, Practice of Teacher Assistant, Educational and Special Psychology, Didactics of Chemistry, Systems of Education and Special Pedagogy, Didactics of Physics, Teaching Practice Under Supervision of Mentor, Self-teaching Practice, Pedagogical Studies Thesis.
2. Main field (Chemistry) study module.
General Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Quantum Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Biochemistry, Colloid Chemistry, Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Chemical Technology, Course Work.
3. Flanking field (Physics) study module.
Mechanics, Molecular Physics, Electricity, Optics, Atomic and Nuclear Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Nanotechnology, Electrodynamics and Theory of Relativity, Computer Modelling in Physics, Solid State Physics, Elementary Particle, Astrophysics, Course Work.
4. Both fields incorporating module.
Mathematics in Natural Sciences, Integral Research Activities of Natural Sciences, Experiment Planning and Data Processing Methods, Physical Chemistry, Interdisciplinary Didactics, Environmental Physics and Chemistry, Bachelor thesis.
Distinctive features of a study programme:
The only study programme in Lithuania providing the opportunity to acquire the Bachelor degree in subject’s Pedagogy, Chemistry and Physics as well as the Professional Qualification of the Teacher.