Objective of a study programme:
To prepare the specialists of catering business, able to create, organise and manage the activity of catering enterprise, apply provisions of healthy and balanced nutrition, food culture and aesthetics, understand ways and possibilities of food products preparation and sustainably developing catering business in a changing environment conditions
The graduates of this study programme will be:
1. Able to apply general modern theories and concepts of economy, management, finance, marketing, and other social sciences, while performing in the field of catering business.
2. Able to apply theories and concepts of balanced nutrition and modern catering services, by developing catering business, as well as aiming for its sustainable expansion.
3. Able to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods, as well as prepare research instruments, while performing research of areas relevant to business of catering services.
4. Able to perform market analysis, aiming to evaluate and forecast business changes, taking into consideration national and international business environment, as well as its impact for business development.
5. Able to apply general requirements of food safety and quality in the chain of food preparation and supply, by assessing the diversity of raw food materials and products, quality indicators and their usage opportunities.
6. Able to apply the principles of rational and balanced nutrition, while forming traditions and culture of healthy nutrition.
7. Able to organise multiple processes of catering business, by rationally using material and human resources, while applying the principles of environment-friendly management and socially-responsible business.
8. Able to design, organise and manage the activity of catering company (affiliate), by solving the questions of optimising company’s activity and reducing its costs, while applying modern management methods and leadership principles.
9. Able to manage design and sales processes of innovative catering services, taking into consideration the needs of the changing market and consumers, as well as seeking for competitiveness and sustainable growth of the company.
10. Able to think systemically, critically and creatively, initiate independently new ideas or make decisions in a teamwork, accepting the responsibility for the quality and results of an activity.
11. Able to communicate (orally and in writing) professionally in the field of specialisation with business partners and clients in one’s native and at least in one foreign language, applying the skills of cooperation and presentation, as well as using modern information technologies and informational sources.
12. Able to broaden constantly one’s knowledge and skills, by evaluating personal professional activity and experience; to foresee the directions of self-expression and self-improvement, and develop independently one’s professionalism, performing in the changing business environment.
Activities of teaching and learning:
Practical situations‘ and case studies, project work, concept and mind mapping, managerial processes‘ simulation, task solution, document analysis, problem learning, practices in the workplace, demonstration and analysis of practical examples, real problem solving in project activities, creation of insights and development scenarios, professional practice, preparation of final thesis.
Methods of assessment of learning achievements:
Cumulative assessment and a ten-scale assessment system are applied. In subject and module programmes, concrete evaluation structural elements are foreseen, their weight in final evaluation, the content of concrete evaluation tasks, criteria and requirements. When applying cumulative assessment the learning outcomes are evaluated by interim assignments. Studies of each subject end with an examination. Achieved results of Catering Business study programme students demonstrate while defending thesis
Course Units (modules), practical training:
The main Study Field Course Units: Business and Enterprise Economy, Management, Nutrition Theory, Professional English Language, The Aesthetics and Culture of Food, Marketing, Applied Mathematics and Economic Statistics, Food Composition and Structure, Food Safety and Hygiene, Professional Ethics, Finance and Financial Accounting, Food Processing Technologies and Equipment, Social Research Methodology, Sales Management, Consumer’s Behaviour Research, Organising of Catering Business, Work Safety and Ergonomics, Business Projects Management, Business Processes Management, Quality Management, Personnel Management, Effective Customer Service and Etiquette, Food Logistics, Pricing.
The Generic Course Units: Business Communication, Individual and Communication Psychology, Modern Information Technology, Fundamentals of Law, Personal Development and Career Management and Creative Entrepreneurship.
Two professional activity internships are performed (training and final internships), total volume of internships is 33 credits.
Students may choose from Study Field, Generic Course units, Study Field Knowledge Deepening and Elective course units. Students can accumulate 30 credits from these choices. Six course units are foreseen for Study Field Knowledge Deepening course units group, from them students can accumulate 15 credits. These are: Events Organization of Catering Enterprise or Image Management of Catering Enterprise, Food Ecology or Heath–Cautions Nutrition, Management of Raw Food Materials and Resources or Menu Planning. Elective course units are dedicated for interdisciplinary studies or development of general competencies, students can select these courses from the list of Elective course units. Their volume is 9 credits.
Distinctive features of a study programme: