Latvian qualifications database (...more
- to master theoretical and practical courses of biology and basic courses of mathematics, physics and chemistry,
- to study practical skills of nature research during a summer course;
- to study advanced courses relating to a relatively specialised molecular or organism biology;
- to carry out independent research (at least full 10 weeks or 10 credit points) in the selected sub-field of biology and present the result in the Bachelor's thesis developed on the level matching requirements for a scientific publication. The goal of the programme is to provide knowledge in a wide spectrum of general subjects of Biology and Natural Sciences and to commence specialisation in a selected field of Biological Sciences.
Tasks of the programme:
- to acquire background theoretical knowledge and basic practical skills in biology, and also in mathematics, physics and chemistry;
- to obtain in-depth knowledge in a relatively specialised direction of molecular or organism biology;
- to implement independent investigation in the selected subbranch of biology and to summarise results, in a bachelor theses, corresponding to the demands of scientific publication.
Basic knowledge in molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, plant and animal anatomy and physiology, zoology and botany, ecology and evolution, and to integrate obtained knowledge with mathematics, chemistry and physics.
- the interrelationships from the molecular level to the organism and ecosystem level;
- of scientific research – from hypothesis to results though careful collection and analysis of data.
- to analyze concepts, theories and issues in biology;
- ability to carry out research, to analyse the research results and to present them during the defence of a bachelor thesis;
- to formulate and analyse problems in a particular subbranch of biology,
- to propose decisions in solving them;
- to work and cooperate in researcher teams;
- to use modern laboratory and field equipment in collecting research data;
- to use modern methods for data processing;
- to have skills of the use of a foreign language.
- University of Latvia
RAIŅA BULVĀRIS 19, RĪGA, LV-1586
Certificate of general secondary education or Diploma of vocational secondary education
Formal (through education programmes)