• Fundamental rights
• Freedom of expression
• Media freedom and pluralism
The public consultation is open to all. It is of particular relevance for those who have a role in media freedom and pluralism. This includes international organisations, Member States and their different Ministries, agencies and departments, civil society, business and media representatives, including publishers, journalists and reporters, judges, prosecutors, ombudspersons, academics, EU institutions and agencies.
Objective of the consultation
The freedom of media and a plurality of voices in society and in the media are indispensable preconditions and essential safeguards of well-functioning democracy. Freedom and pluralism of the media are enshrined in Article 11 of the Charter of Fundamental rights, and are at the core of the basic democratic values on which the Union is founded.
The purpose of the public consultation is to feed into the second Annual Colloquium on Fundamental Rights which will take place on 17-18 November 2016. The Colloquium will explore the multiple links between a free and pluralist media space on the one hand and democracy on the other hand.
Other related consultations
- 2013 - Public consultation on the Independent Report from the HLG on Media Freedom and Pluralism
- 2013 - Public consultation on the independence of the audiovisual regulatory bodies
- 2015 - Annual Colloquium on Fundamental Rights "Tolerance and respect: preventing and combating anti-Semitic and anti-Muslim hatred in Europe"
- 2015 - Public consultation on Directive 2010/13/EU on Audiovisual Media Services (AVMSD) - A media framework for the 21st century
- 2015 - Public consultation on the regulatory environment for platforms, online intermediaries, data and cloud computing and the collaborative economy
- 2015 - Public consultation in the framework of the Annual Colloquium on Fundamental Rights "Tolerance and respect: preventing and combating anti-Semitic and anti-Muslim hatred in Europe"
- 2015 - Public consultation on EU citizenship: common values, rights and democratic participation , for more details see Factsheet
- 2015 - Flash Eurobarometer survey on European Union Citizenship , for more details see summary and general and national factsheets)
- 2015 - Flash Eurobarometer survey on Electoral rights , summary and general and national factsheets
Responsible service: European Commission, Directorate-General Justice, Fundamental Rights Policy Unit (JUST C.2).
Data Protection Disclaimer
For further information on privacy rulings for this public consultation see the following