Today, 24 November 2021, marks one year since the European Commission announced its new EU Action Plan on Integration and Inclusion 2021-2027.
The Action Plan outlines concrete steps, provides guidance and delineates funding for initiatives that promote inclusion for everyone. It is centred around multi-stakeholder partnerships, including close cooperation with migrant-led organisations. Its main actions include:
- Inclusive education and training from early childhood to higher education, focusing on easier recognition of qualifications and continued language learning;
- Improving employment opportunities and skills recognition to fully value the contribution of migrant communities, and women in particular, and ensure that they are supported to reach their full potential;
- Promoting access to health services, including mental healthcare, for people with a migrant background;
- Access to adequate and affordable housing, funded through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), European Social Fund Plus (ESF+), Asylum and Migration Fund (AMF) and Invest EU.
Key achievements in this first year of implementation include:
- The launch of a new partnership between the European Commission and the Committee of the Regions (CoR) to increase cooperation with and support given to EU cities, regions and rural areas for their work on the integration of new arrivals;
- The 6th European Migration Forum, highlighting the essential role of migrants during the COVID-19 pandemic and their contribution to the EU's economic and social recovery;
- The publication of a new early childhood education and care (ECEC) toolkit, providing young children with additional needs - such as those from a migrant background - with professional support to grow, learn and flourish.
Watch a short explainer video on the Action Plan here, or access the full document below.