Academic Bulletin “Refugees: Today and Tomorrow” 5/2020
Академичния бюлетин “Бежанците: днес и утре” 5/2020 (Original language title)
The fifth issue of the academic bulletin Refugees: Today and Tomorrow focuses on the integration of asylum seekers and refugees in Bulgaria. On the one hand, the integration topic is presented through examples of the labour market integration of people seeking and being granted international protection with the expert work of key actors in the field (CATRO Bulgaria and Caritas Sofia). On the other hand, it is presented through the role of municipalities in local integration, based on two examples of Sofia districts: Vitosha and Oborishte.
Some of the other stories in the issue include:
- Refugees from five families, who found new homes in the town of Svishtov, reveal their personal stories and paths to integration in Bulgaria;
- A UNHCR 'expert view' on the definition of integration at the local level, its application in Bulgaria, and additional examples from other European countries on the direction and opportunities for further work in the field of integration;
- Specifics of university training in the field of pedagogical and social work with refugees;
- A comparative analysis, based on the National Integration Evaluation Mechanism (NIEM) in 14 countries in the European Union;
- The Countries of Origin section explores cultural and religious aspects of life in Syria;
- The Legal Council section explores the topic of undocumented persons in Bulgaria;
- The Republic of Northern Macedonia and its current situation on the Balkan route to Western Europe.