Forum of Integration policies and New citizens (Unofficial translation)
Type of Information
Circoscrizione 7 - Municipality of Turin
Diletta Berardinelli (Login to send email)
Contact Person Function
The district number 7 of the city of Turin (Italy) decided in 2011 to create the “Forum of Integration policies and New citizens” based on the 7th Common basic principle for immigrant integration policy in the European Union: ”Frequent interaction between immigrants and Member State citizens is a fundamental mechanism for integration. Shared forums, inter-cultural dialogue, education about immigrants and immigrant cultures, and stimulating living conditions in urban environments enhance the interactions between immigrants and Member State citizens”.
Issue/Challenge and Goal/Assumption
District n. 7 is one of the areas with a highest percentage of immigrant residents in the city of Turin. Based on the 7th Common basic principle for immigrant integration policy in the European Union the aims of the Forum are:
- to promote long-term mutual understanding and trust in order to prevent and solve eventually local intercultural and social conflicts;
- to strengthen the network between people and organizations on the ground and the coordination of projects;
- to identify issues according to the principle “Don’t do it for us, do it with us - Nothing about us without us”;
- to organize awareness-raising campaigns and events to allow all citizens to learn data and facts on migration and integration and find out how they can participate in the integration process;
- to collect local data for migrants integration and social cohesion policies;
- to organize public celebrations and cultural events;
- to empower migrant communities.
How does it work
The “Forum of Integration policies and New citizens” is a dialogue platform for immigrant residents, citizens of immigrant and non-immigrant background, associations and the Turin municipality. In order to participate in the monthly meetings of the Forum an application form has to be filled in. The number of the participants at the moment is 94 (leaders of association/single citizens). The issues discussed during the meeting are proposed by the participants or by the coordinator.
Political participation of 97 associations and 15 individual citizens registered to the Forum. Many local events organized for and with the migrant communities.
The Forum of Integration policies and new citizens was considered a best practice and invited to participate at the presentation of the results of the European Migrant Integration Academy (EU-MIA), a research and cooperative learning project aimed at strengthening the integration policies of different European cities.
Who will benefit?
Migrant communities and migrant and intercultural associations but also local Italian and foreign residents.
Source of funding and Resources used
Funds of the municipality of Turin and voluntary work.