Refugees: Today and Tomorrow - first academic bulletin in Bulgaria
Бежанците: днес и утре (Original language title)
The Bulgarian Council on Refugees and Migrants (BCRM) has published the first issue of the academic bulletin Refugees: Today and Tomorrow. Four more editions are planned for 2020. This is the first such long-term initiative in the country and is supported by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Representation in Bulgaria.
The bulletin provides up-to-date information on various aspects of forced migration, including:
- international standards of refugee protection;
- information about the asylum systems in Bulgaria and Europe;
- integration opportunities and practices for refugees, as well as the political, economic and social impact to host communities.
The bulletin brings together:
- data and statistics;
- brief legal explanations of the international protection regime;
- information on the activities of institutions and non-governmental organisations supporting refugees in Bulgaria;
- interviews with experts;
- information about academic initiatives and articles related to the topic;
- the personal stories of refugees;
- calls for participation and publications
Among the current issue’s contents are and an overview of 2019’s developments, a presentation of opportunities such as two master’s programmes related to migration, as well as the story of a young refugee from Afghanistan who found a new home in Bulgaria.
At the same time, the issue pays special attention to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and the measures taken by both institutions and non-governmental organisations in Bulgaria. The first issue of the bulletin also looks into the situation in neighbouring Greece within the context of the pandemic.